In AMOS, being able to restrict Substring to English (en) or other language

Re: In AMOS, being able to restrict Substring to English (en) or other language

by Séverin Terrier -
Number of replies: 6
I've finally created MDLSITE-6660 for this. Hope you'll find time for that.
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Séverin Terrier -
Hi David,

Just wonder if you think you'll be able to implement this functionnality in AMOS (soon)?

That would be really helpful.

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Thank you Séverin for the reminder. We've added the issue to the backlog and I'll do my best to get to it. As always, if anybody has a chance to try and provide the patch, it will be welcome.

Just wondering about the best and simple UI for it. Would it be enough to be able to distinguish between English-only and everywhere? That is, would it work if we simply added a new checkbox like:

New checkbox added to the AMOS Filter form

In reply to David Mudrák

by Séverin Terrier -
Thanks for that. I should certainly have reminded it sooner wink

Unfortunatly no, use cases implies being able to search for english only, or (at least) (an)other language(s).
Certainly having "In English only" and "Excluding English" (or "All but English") would be good, and adress most use cases (perhaps all), because i suppose most people work on one language at a time, or would need same search on all languages but english.

Hope this answer you question, and doesn(t complicate (too much) the development needed for that.

Séverin

Er: Re: In AMOS, being able to restrict Substring to English (en) or other language

by Iñigo Zendegi Urzelai -
+1 to what Séverin said, sometimes we need to search for terms only in English and sometimes only in the other language.

Thinking about it could be implemented, the first thought was to have two check buttons (one for English and one for the other languages), but then I realized I usually don't need to search in both languages so it could be a radio button too (being English the default value).
In reply to Iñigo Zendegi Urzelai

Re: Er: Re: In AMOS, being able to restrict Substring to English (en) or other language

by Séverin Terrier -
Hi,

Still come back to know if it's planned to be able to filter on "English only" or "Not english" ?

Another use case just now : in french, punctuation marks, like these (! : ; ...) must be preceded by a space, but it's not the case in english.

If i try to find all occurrences where it's not the case in french, it also finds all english occurrences, so i can't check it sad

I don't remember the details, but i'm sure there are other use cases...

So, i hope this useful addition to AMOS could be live soon.

Séverin

Re: Er: Re: In AMOS, being able to restrict Substring to English (en) or other language

by Séverin Terrier -
Hi,

New year, new idea : in fact, it could be useful to be able to specify (different) substring(s) to (not) find both in english, and in (an)other language(s).

As an exemple, to be coherent in the whole french translation, we want to translate everywhere both "Are you sure" and "Do you really" by "Voulez-vous vraiment".

It would be super useful to be able to find sentences containing english one, and not containing the french one. This would allow an easy way to quickly find sentences not respecting it, to update them.

Séverin