Help translate the new Moodle.org front page

Help translate the new Moodle.org front page

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 48
Calling all language pack maintainers!

We are currently working on a redesign of Moodle.org to align it better with its community remit. We are focusing first on the front page and a new  ‘Get involved’ page. We’ll be showcasing the improvements at the Global moot and will be going live soon afterwards.

Currently, as you know, translations of Moodle.org are done via AMOS. However, our new design will use the same content translation plugin we use on Moodle Academy, where trusted translators translate directly on the site.

If you translate Moodle.org wording for your language, we’d appreciate it if you explore the course Translate Moodle Academy to familiarise yourself with the system. (No need to complete the course unless you also intend to translate Moodle Academy courses.)

When we are nearer launching the new look site, we’ll be in touch with information on how you can translate the new Moodle.org front page and Get involved page. Thanks very much in advance for your continued support and contributions!
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Help translate the new Moodle.org front page

by Mary Cooch -
Hello again and thanks to those of you who translate the current Moodle.org front page via AMOS and who have already completed the Translate Moodle Academy course (ie got the badge). If you're a translator of Moodle.org front page and  you went through the course but didn't do the assignment to obtain the badge (which is fine), please let me know anyway.
Moodle.org will very soon have a new front page (and some new linked pages) and we would  be very grateful for your help in translating them. I'll be in touch again soon.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Bohumil Havel -
I would like to translate moodle.org, but I don't have permission. When can I start?
My profile email bhavelbrno@seznam.cz.
(I earned a translation badge smile)
In reply to Bohumil Havel

by Mary Cooch -
Good (European) morning Bohumil smile Since the new Moodle.org theme was added yesterday, I am now about to give the translator role to those who already have completed the course and will post back here later with more information. I am happy that you are so keen!
In reply to Mary Cooch

Moodle.org is ready to translate!

by Mary Cooch -

Hello translators!
This is to let you know that the new Moodle.org front page (along with connected pages, linked to from the Get Involved button) are ready to be translated. If you have recently translated Moodle.org via AMOS and have also gone through the Translating  Moodle Academy course to familiarise yourself with the plugin, then when you next log in to Moodle.org you will find you have been given the translator role and will be able to translate into your native language.

If you don't see the translation plugin icons but wish to contribute to translating Moodle.org, and have taken the course/are familiar with the plugin, please let me know either by replying here or via a personal message, and I will give you access.

Many thanks in advance.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle.org is ready to translate!

by Ralf Krause -
Picture of Language pack maintainers
Hey Mary,
I want to translate some parts of the web site moodle.org and I just have got. the badge in the Moodle Academy course "Translate Moodle". Please set the rights to let me translate moodle.org.
Ralf
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Mary Cooch -
Thanks Ralf. This is done now.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Luca Bösch -
If you like, Mary, I'd support Ralf as well.
(if you agree, Ralf!)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ralf Krause -
Hey Mary,

I just translated the front page of the Moodle Community site moodle.org. I found that there are some german child languages like "Deutsch - Schweiz (de_ch)" and "Bairisch (bar)" but they do not get the german translation.

I think that you must not show those german child languages in the language menu. Of course, if someone will translate the Moodle site to "Deutsch - Schweiz (de_ch)" or "Bairisch (bar)" then the choosing those languages should be possible. But as long as they get the english texts the idea is not so good. Perhaps Luca will try a different translation for "Deutsch - Schweiz (de_ch)"?  wink

The same problem will have all other child languages, too. If there is a great difference betreen "Francais (fr)" and "Francais - Canada (fr_ca)" they should get different Moodle websites. If there is a great difference between "Espaniol - Internacional (es)" and "Espaniol - Columbia (es_co)", "Espaniol - Mexico (es_mx)", or "Espaniol - Venezuela (es_ve)" then they should get different Moodle web pages. But if the differences are small then it should be better to have only one french site and only one spanish site.

Best regards,
Ralf
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Luca Bösch -
Your work look great, Ralf!
In regards to de_ch the main difference is merely the replacing of ß by ss. We (and the Austrian, as I understand) do not use ß!
I think it would be wise if the german translators would co-ordinate on two specific, the one being how to handle gender (should it be "Stelle jede Moodle-Frage, vernetze dich mit Moodler:innen aus der ganzen Welt, teile deine Erfahrungen und arbeite zusammen." or "Stelle jede Moodle-Frage, vernetze dich mit Moodler/innen aus der ganzen Welt, teile deine Erfahrungen und arbeite zusammen." or "Stelle jede Moodle-Frage, vernetze dich mit Moodler*innen aus der ganzen Welt, teile deine Erfahrungen und arbeite zusammen."?) and the other being the dashes which you can do or not do ("Community Foren" or "Community-Foren"?).
I very much like the Moodle language policy guidelines (I can't find the link right now, you probably know what I'm talking about, Mary), but for german.

Best,
Luca
In reply to Luca Bösch

by Ralf Krause -
Hey Luca,
yes, I know about these differences with the ß and the ss. But should it be better to have an untranslated web site for "Deutsch -Schweiz (de_ch)" than to have a german web site for swiss readers?

Yes, I know that some words have to be gendered. But my first thing was to use the new tool and to get a first translation so I can talk about the adventure and the problems.

Best regards,
Ralf
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Mary Cooch -
Luca you have the translator role on Moodle.org - feel free to decide together with Ralf how to organise this.
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Luca Bösch -
Wonderful!

I agree the site does not need a de_ch variant. If it is possible, may you remove the de_ch entry from the list to choose, Mary, please?
Although Austrians and Swiss do write a bit differently themselves they cope very well with those strange german ß.
The de_ch makes sense for Moodle institutions run in swiss school institutions for example.

Best,
Luca
In reply to Luca Bösch

by Mary Cooch -
Luca, I have removed de_ch. (Personally I learned German 50 years ago with the obligation to write the "strange German ß )
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
moodle.org and moodle.com is translated different in German language. Moodle.com was translated automatically and uses the formal you (Sie). Moodle.org instead use the informal you (du).

What is better?

German is complicate.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jasmin Klindzic -

Hi, Mary, I would like to translate Moodle.org to Croatian. I have been the Croatian lang pack maintainer for Moodle since 2004.

In reply to Jasmin Klindzic

by Mary Cooch -
Hello Jasmin. Happy to make you a translator on Moodle.org but just checking first that you are familiar with/have used the translation plugin?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mitja Podreka -
Hello Mary,

Got my badge now and I'm interested in Slovene translation. I'm Slovene language pack maintainer, though I'm missing the 'title badge' on this forum.

Regards, Mitja
In reply to Mitja Podreka

by Mary Cooch -
Hello Mitja - I have added you to the Translators role on Moodle.org with the same email as the one you are using here, and I have also added you to the Language pack maintainters group here so you can see the group icon smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mitsuhiro Yoshida -

Hi Mary,

I would like to translate Moodle.org front page into Japanese, so could you set up access so that I can translate it.

Sorry, I haven't gotten the badge yet.

Mits

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ralf Krause -

Hey, I found some text on the login page https://moodle.org/login/index.php which should be translated.

Login on Moodle.org

In reply to Ralf Krause

by Ralf Krause -
The front page https://moodle.org/ links to other Moodle pages. When a user follows these links he will jump from https://moodle.org/ to https://moodle.com/ which is provided on a different server. All pages are using the same design so the user should feel that he is using one information and collaboration pool. The cookie question breaks this user experience. 

In reply to Ralf Krause

by Ralf Krause -

There seems to be a invalid link on the page https://moodle.org/getinvolved for the block "Moodle User Association". The link jumps back to the front page.

Moodle User Association

In reply to Ralf Krause

by Mary Cooch -
Hello Ralf. Try now. It should be fixed.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ralf Krause -
Yes, it works now and it's translated to German.
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Ralf Krause -

There is a problem with the translation of the Moodle.org frontpage.

For the topic "Connect with the community at MoodleMoot Global" I can't get the source code. Yes, I edited the code for German version to put the new picture into the page but I can't see if the parameters are the same as we find them in the English version. The translation plugin does not show the HTML code and the diffs for the English page. I can't click the tabs on the top of the right side.

In reply to Ralf Krause

by Ralf Krause -

Sorry ... I wrote about these tabs. They are on the left side of the page but right from the "original content" tab

In reply to Ralf Krause

by Ralf Krause -
Hi Mary,
I can't click the 3 marked buttons so can't get the differences from the old and the newer content. this problem exists again for the topic on the start page.
Ralf
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Mary Cooch -

Hello Ralf. I am not very familiar with the plugin  but if I click the dropdown and choose for example Veraltet auf dieser Seite

And then I click Übersetzung bearbeiten

I can actually click on those buttons OK:

Does that work for you?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ralf Krause -

Hi Mary,

the first outdated translation in the list is the topic with the certificated Moodle Partners. I need to translate the topic for the Moodlemoot. And I get the same error when I try to open the tool from the list of outdated translations. I translated the text now but I can't say if there are some differences in the html code or in the css formatting.

Ralf

In reply to Ralf Krause

by Rajneel Totaram -

Hi Ralf,
To help us debug this issue, can you please confirm if these tabs work when you try to translate another block?

And if you resize your browser window, do these tabs still not work?
In reply to Rajneel Totaram

by Mary Cooch -
Hello Ralf. Following some investigations from our developers Rajneel and Aya, could you now please check that you can translate the block in question? It seems some code was preventing access to the translation plugin and that has - we hope - been fixed.
In reply to Rajneel Totaram

by Ralf Krause -
Hi Rajneel,
yes, these tabs work in other blocks. I cold not resize my browser window on the iPad. And no, on the iMac the tabs also did not work. Currently there is no block marked for a german translation so I can‘t try.
Yesterday I got another error with the link to the page getinvolved. Today ther is no error anymore.
Ralf
In reply to Mary Cooch

by German Valero -
Hi Mary,
I have translated most of the Moodle.org frontpage to Mexican Spanish sonrisa

I thought Moodle HQ or a Moodle Partner would quickly translate the Moodle.org homepage (and Moodle Academy courses) to international Spanish, but that hasn't happened yet.

Thus, I would like to be able to also translate the Moodle.org homepage to International Spanish, but I could not add that language in the translators page of the 'Translate Moodle Academy ' course.

Can you please allow me to also translate into international Spanish ?
In reply to German Valero

by German Valero -

Some pages available in Spanish seem to have been automatically translated by Google, such as https://moodle.com/es/acerca-de/
It should have been properly translated as 'Democratizando la educación a la manera del 'código abierto''
:

by Mary Cooch -
Hello German - the translation of moodle.com is done completely separately from Moodle.org and Moodle Academy (done by some automatic plugin I believe) If you want to suggest manual improvements to the translation of moodle.com I think you have to contact them via the Moodle.com contact form.
I will be in touch with you about International Spanish shortly.

by Mary Cooch -
Ok German so I have checked this on Academy. Spanish International IS available but not shown because (I am quoting from Site admin > Language setting)

Hide Workplace parent packs
"If enabled, the parent of any installed Workplace language pack is not displayed in the language menu. For example, 'English (en)' is not displayed if 'English for Workplace (en_wp)' is installed."
So as I understand it, you translate es_wp which is a child of es.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by German Valero -

I can confirm that I can also translate moodle.org front page into international Spanish.  I have a lot of work to do...

Thanks Mary!

by Mary Cooch -
Hello all! Mistuhiro I will give you the translator role Thursday or Friday - to everyone: we are just doing some maintenance on the translations (after Ralf Krause noticed an issue with the Active Projects block) so please be patient for a day before continuing with your translations. I will post on here again when we are ready for you to continue translating and when any new volunteer translators here have been added.
Thanks as usual for your assistance in making Moodle multilingual and warming my polyglot heart smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

Translating the new Moodle.org front page

by Mary Cooch -

Hello again. Jasmin and Mitsuhiro - you now have the translator roles on Moodle.org.

We've resolved the issues with translations so you are all welcome to continue. Just a note that, along with the front page, there is text and associated text on the Get Involved pages too.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Translating the new Moodle.org front page

by Mitsuhiro Yoshida -

Hi Mary,

Thank you very much. It's great to see the translation interface for the Moodle.org front page. And I can see some text for translation on the "Get Involved" page too.

Finally I got my "Translate Moodle Academy" badge on Moodle Academy yesterday.

Mits

Attachment moodle_translation.png
In reply to Mitsuhiro Yoshida

by Ralf Krause -
Dear translators,

I would like to support your translation of the community page. I found very late that some additional informations are hidden in the source text which should also be adjusted with your translation.

I asked Mary but my question about the links was still open. I don't want to land on an English marketing page at the Moodle HQ https://moodle.com when I come from a German community page at https://moodle.org . If you follow the respective link after your translation, you will probably not always be satisfied either. I found this problem on the French (fr) community page and the Mexican Spanish (mx_es) community page.  wink

I was able to answer this question myself today. As a solution I follow the link to https://moodle.com and get the English text. Then I click on DE for German in the upper right corner at https://moodle.com and I get the German text. I copy the URL and set it as the link into the source code of my translation.

In the source code I also found some alternative texts that describe links and pictures with the attribute alt. Of course these alternative texts should be translated, too. In the last section of the community page you can find three pictures with the alternative text "Kittens" for all three pictures. I thought kittens are little cats. Where did yo copy the source code?

Best regards
Ralf

Ralf Krause
moodleSCHULE e.V.
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Mary Cooch -
Thanks Ralf. The front page was designed by UX people who originally used kitten images as placeholders - we have killed the kittens now. Thanks for letting us know.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ralf Krause -
Hi Mary,
there is a line going through the three icons in the topic Moodle Roadmap. This line looks inexpertly. I removed this line in the german version of the community page. Open the source code and replace "hr" with "div" ... do nothing else.

<hr class="w-100 d-none d-md-block position-absolute">
<div class="w-100 d-none d-md-block position-absolute"></div>
Best regards,
Ralf

Line
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Ralf Krause -
Hi Mary,
could it be a good idea to translate also the text at the top of the Community Forums?
Ralf

Moodle forum
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Mary Cooch -
I think it is OK to translate the text there as well.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ralf Krause -
I found that there are no translation buttons at the bottom of some german page. Perhaps I did a mistake in my translations I can't say if they are missing also in other languages.
https://moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=8742
https://moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=8744
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Mary Cooch -
Hello Ralf - and other translators here. Regarding your post about missing translation icons in a couple of pages in German (they were not missing in other languages) our developer Aya has spent some time exploring this and now has an explanation, and I think it will be useful to all, so I am pasting it here:

Apologies for the delay on getting back to you regarding this issue.

After many hours of debugging 😃 there's a tiny non-printing character called 

that was present in the Deutsche translation for the mentioned pages which was causing the translation filter to break and not show the translation button , after removing this character i can access the translation button again.

I'm not confident on what exactly got this non-printing character into the translated text but maybe the text was copied from a word processing software (Microsoft Word or word pad ).

In reply to Ralf Krause

by Mary Cooch -
Thanks Ralf. I have passed on your comments about the line. I imagine the line was deliberate, to make it look like a pathway, ie a "road" showing how Moodle is moving along its roadmap, but I am just guessing.