Translation of non-standard modules?

Translation of non-standard modules?

by Daniel Neis Araujo -
Number of replies: 36
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Hello,

a brazilian translator recently asked me about the non-standard modules and if would be possible to translate them in AMOS. Specifically the "questionnaire" module, that have more than 200 strings and only 10 appear on AMOS. So, what can i answer to him?

Kind regards,

Daniel

In reply to Daniel Neis Araujo

Re: Translation of non-standard modules?

by David Mudrák -
Support for non-standard plugins is not fully finished. At the moment, I have to manually update English strings in AMOS. In the future, AMOS will be connected with the Plugins database at http://moodle.org/plugins so that every time a new version is uploaded there, the strings are updated in AMOS automatically. And only plugins registered in the Plugins database will be supported by AMOS.

I just updated AMOS so that the Questionnaire English strings were imported from the module's Github repository.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Ralf Krause -

Hi David,

would you please get the strings for the plugins "MRBS" and "Lightbox Gallery" into AMOS?

The new "MRBS" for Moodle 2.x can be found at https://github.com/arborrow/moodle-block_mrbs 
The new "Lightbox Gallery" for Moodle 2.x  can be found at https://github.com/netspotau/moodle-mod_lightboxgallery 

Thanks!
Ralf

In reply to Ralf Krause

by David Mudrák -
Hi Ralf. Sorry I missed your request somehow. I just checked the repositories and I can see that the only stable branch I can use in both repos is MOODLE_20_STABLE. So the strings would appear at 2.0 version in AMOS. Are you okay with that?

In reply to David Mudrák

by Ralf Krause -

Hi David,

bad news but your answer is very important for the future of all plugins.

If sombody developed a module which runs fine with Moodle 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 but he marked it only for MOODLE_20_STABLE then nobody can get the translation for Moodle 2.2 or 2.3.

First, the mrbs block got the last change on 20120308 and it works with all Moodle 2.x versions.

Second, the lightbox gallery was fixed at least on 20120309. It's very nice with Moodle 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 but nobody will use the module without a proper translation.

Third, the hotpot module can be used and can be translated in all branches. Does this module exist in a correct form ... it seems so. Where is the difference? Hotpot works with Moodle 2.x .... I can get a zip file without any branch. I have to download the hotpot module from http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/zip/moodle-2.x.hotpot-module.zip

Fourth, I found the book module with different branches on the server https://github.com/skodak/moodle-mod_book and it has a translation in all branches. Is this the correct way to get into the translation tool?

What do you think about the four different modules and the four different ways?

Best regards

Ralf
Moodle Partner - moodleSCHULE e.V.

Attachment mod_book.png
In reply to Ralf Krause

by David Mudrák -

Hi Ralf

Sorry I missed your post and did not reply earlier. It does not matter if the module itself is or is not maintained on branches. But in both cases, strings must be put onto branches in AMOS. Let me try and explain it on examples.

• The Book module is using MOODLE_xx_STABLE branches for its code. As a Moodle developer, I would generally recommend that as this system is much more flexible to eventual changes in Moodle API etc. I agree it requires more work from the maintainer, though. Anyway, strings from MOODLE_xx_STABLE branches are to be imported into respective branches in AMOS in this case, obviously. If the maintainer updates, say, some strings on 2.3 branch, we have to import them into AMOS for that branch.
  • If the plugin does not use branches - for example there is a single version available for all 2.x Moodle versions - its language pack is still to be copied and put into all supported branches in AMOS. For example, if there is a block_xyz that has only "master" branch in its Git repository and it is known to work in all 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3, the strings from that block must be imported four-times into AMOS - into respective branches. If there is a string modified or added in the block code, the import has to be repeated. So, this case is supported, too.

Following the Moodle branching scheme would help automatic strings transfer from Plugins to AMOS, for sure. If we want to support automatic strings transfer for plugins that have their own branching scheme (including no branches at all), we would need to store the mapping somewhere, somehow. Or, the transfer script at the Plugins could simply "propagate" the new strings from the uploaded ZIP to all versions in AMOS that are marked as supported by that ZIP version. But then we run into another issue as in AMOS, we need to have the most recent snapshot of the strings for each Moodle branch. But there could be eventually two versions of the plugin working nicely on one branch and each of them could have own strings. Which version's strings should be registered in AMOS then...?

In reply to David Mudrák

by German Valero -

Hi David,

The strings for the certificate module are only available for translation for the Moodle 2.1 branch, while many users are currently in Moodle 2.2 or 2.3dev

Can this be fixed by you or is it only for the module programmer to correct ?

Thanx,

German Valero

In reply to German Valero

by David Mudrák -
Hi German

I've checked the Certificate module Git repository at https://github.com/PukunuiAustralia/moodle-mod_certificate and it seems the maintainer is correctly using the recommended branch naming scheme. So I re-ran import scripts manually now and imported Certificate module strings for 2.0, 2.2 and 2.3 branches.

Language pack maintainers may want to use the Merge tool at the Stage page to copy the current translations from 2.1 to other branches.

Thanks for letting me know. Once the dust of the current heavy 2.3 development settles down, I'll contact Marina Glancy (the current maintainer of the Plugins repository) and we will try to come with a solution that would automate the process in the future.
In reply to David Mudrák

by German Valero -

Hi David,

Thanks for the promp answer. I merged the certificate strings from the 2.1 branch to the 2.0 and 2.2 but the 2.3 dev branch still lacks all the certificate module language strings.

I am sorry to bother you again, but it seems the 2.3 import "did not stick". We do really would like to have the 2.3 strings translated by the 2.3 expected release time (if possible).

Thanks again,

German Valero

by David Mudrák -
Ooops, sorry my bad. Should be fixed now.
In reply to David Mudrák

by German Valero -

Hi David,

I saw Gavins Random Thoughts blogs about plugins usage and it was very interesting to find out the most used plugins from his survey. But...

The configurable reports and the checklist plugins are not yet available for translation in AMOS.

I think many Moodle administrators would love to have this plugins translated into their language.

Could you do the necesary magic spell to have these plugins available for translation in AMOS?

Thanks again.

German Valero.

ps: I think I might have just achieved 100% translated strings for mexican spanish 2.x branches in AMOS

by German Valero -

Moodle has a page with the number of total and daily downloads that includes the contributed modules.

It was interesting (and sad) to notice that several popular contributed plugins are not available for translation in AMOS. One such case is the tutorship plugin (the fifth most downloaded) and the maintainer has not visited moodle.org since Wednesday, 18 January 2012, 10:14 PM  (284 days 1 hour) sad. I will try to write about this in the tracker.

by Nadav Kavalerchik -

True!

Please add: mod/ForumNG , mod/HotQuestion, mod/SubPage, mod/SubCourse, block/Sharing_Cart, Question/Order, PoodLL (filter, question, repository)

In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

by German Valero -

Hi,

The English strings for Poodll filter, question and repository for Moodle 2.3 branch are all available for translation in AMOS. I have already translated them all to mexican spanish. You should be able to see them for thanslation in all languages.

In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

by David Mudrák -
HotQuestion is here - it's just not at all branches. Subcourse is not in Moodle plugins directory yet, so can't be registered with AMOS.

When looking for the correct branch of a plugin in AMOS, this is what usually works for me: check all versions (from 2.0 to DEV) and look for the string identifier "pluginname". All plugins are supposed to provide it and when a string identifier is defined in the search form, searching is pretty quick even across all branches.
In reply to David Mudrák

by German Valero -

Hi David,

That is a very nice (helpful/efficient) tip. Would you please add it to the instructions for translators page?

In reply to David Mudrák

by German Valero -

Hi David,

The Moodle plugins page has a new version of the certificate module, and this new version has several non-translated strings.

The certificate module is very useful for many sites, and we would love to provide a good translation of all the language strings of the new version.

Can you please put the new language strings into AMOS for translators to use ?

Thanks a lot,

German Valero

In reply to David Mudrák

by Joseph Rézeau -

@David,

I am the co-maintainer of the Questionnaire 3rd-party plugin and I am rather confused by the present situation for the translation of language strings for those plugins.

In your message dated 9 Feb, 2012 you said that "support for non-standard plugins [was] not fully finished". What is the situation today?

How will 3rd-party developers be notified that their plugin has made it to AMOS? Should we now abandon all translation into other languages in moodle/myplugin/lang/ repositories and expect that, through AMOS (?), the translations will be made available in the "official" language packs.

Taking the example of translating the Questionnaire strings into French, should we (Mike and I) remove mod/questionnaire/lang/fr from our distribution of Questionnaire? And should I now complete all the missing strings for Questionnaire in AMOS? If I do this, and click on Stage, Submit to maintainers, who will my translations be sent to? i.e. who are the maintainers? Are those persons designated as "maintainers" of a plugin on the Moodle plugins repository automatically assigned the role of maintainers in the AMOS tool for translations of their plugin? or is the language maintainer of a given language also the maintainer for 3rd-party plugins? e.g. for French, Nicolas Martignoni?

One more question: where translations exist both in a module's mod/somemodule/lang/somelanguage repository and in moodledata/lang/somelanguage/somemodule.php, what is the precedence order - if any?

Thanks for your time,

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by koen roggemans -

Hi Joseph,

I reply for the portion I know for sure already:

If I do this, and click on Stage, Submit to maintainers, who will my translations be sent to?... is the language maintainer of a given language also the maintainer for 3rd-party plugins? e.g. for French, Nicolas Martignoni? Yes, that's how it is

In reply to koen roggemans

by Ralf Krause -

But the language maintainers can add the questionnaire strings for Moodle 2.3. This must be done by David.

I am one of the german translators. The german translation for the questionnaire plugin is much more complete than you would think while you are looking questionnaire in Moodle.

To correct the wrong things for the questionnaire module in my Moodle 2.3.1 (20120816) I did the following. I installed the new questionnaire 2.3.2 and I corrected the version string http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-3874 because the version did noch change since the prior installation. 

I deleted the folder moodle23/mod/questionnaire/lang/de in my local Moodle. I fetched the language file questionnaire.php from the Moodle 2.2 package and put it into the Moodle 2.3 packed ... and voila ... please look at my screenshots ... most of the questionnaire ist in german language  smile

Please add questionnaire.php to Moodle 2.3 and DEV in AMOS. Please delete all languages from moodle23/mod/questionnaire/lang/* except 'en'.

Attachment questionnaire1.png
Attachment questionnaire2.png

by Joseph Rézeau -

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi David, thanks for having clarified things in CONTRIB-3875.

Joseph

by David Mudrák -
Yeah, sorry for the late response. I just returned from my annual holiday and am digging through all emails and tracker issues.

In HQ, we are currently testing the Plugins/AMOS integration patch on our test servers. Hopefully we will be able to have it deployed by the end of this week. The deployment includes:

* one-step bulk import of all almost 300 plugins into AMOS
* patching the Plugins directory so that every new version uploaded is sent to AMOS immediately

Thank you for all your feedback and patience.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi,

Hope your holidays was good smile

Nice informations ; also hope that this will allow integration of BigBlueButton in AMOS wink

Thanks for all the good work.

Séverin

In reply to David Mudrák

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi David,

Thanks to you for bearing with our impatience.wink

Looking forward to the new developments in AMOS.

Joseph

In reply to David Mudrák

by German Valero -

Thank you David for all the work you do to keep us happy and productive. I will be looking forward to have new strings to translate for my language  pack.

Wouldn't anybody else agree that if you bulk import almost 300 plugins into AMOS you shoud deserve a few bottles of champagne to celebrate the acomplishment? How may we chip in ? smile

Thanks again.

by Séverin Terrier -

Any news about these changes in AMOS?

It would be really interesting to be able to handle translations of non-standard modules, especially now, just before beggining a new learning year, and before installing Moodle 2.3.2 (due monday)...

Thanks,
Séverin

In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Séverin Terrier -

Yes, it seems that MDLSITE-1836 is resolved, and all non standard plugins are in AMOS smile

Just have to translate it all wink

Thanks,
Séverin

by koen roggemans -

I'm glad the missing strings from contrib modules are not included in the translation percentage: it would ruin our statistics big grin

It was nice to see my very own Open bilbio block in there. 

I gues we just have to upload the existing translations?

Thanks a lot for your work David!

by Séverin Terrier -

If i remember well, yes, i think you can do that smile

Nicolas will do it for french langage, as he's the french maintainer  (i'm just contributing) wink

by koen roggemans -

I tried and it works great: upload, propagate to 4 versions, commit, done.

I posted in the Dutch forum a call for contrib plugin translation contributions. I hope sysadmins who use translated contrib plugins or translated some of them for themselves will send their translations. They probably will if translations are not distributed anymore with the contrib plugins.

So I assume it's good practice to take the current translations out of contrib plugins and make a new release without them?

by David Mudrák -
Correct. As I described in the AMOS News forum post today morning, current translations have to be manually imported into AMOS and then removed from the plugin's source code.

by Joseph Rézeau -

Joseph "One more question: where translations exist both in a module's mod/somemodule/lang/somelanguage repository and in moodledata/lang/somelanguage/somemodule.php, what is the precedence order - if any?"

Just tested this, and the answer is : moodledata/lang/somelanguage/somemodule.php takes precedence over mod/somemodule/lang/somelanguage repository (if both exist).

Joseph

by Séverin Terrier -

Thanks Joseph for the test.

It seems logical for me : that allows plugins to still provide translations, as they are (now), and benefit of new translations made via AMOS smile

Séverin

by David Mudrák -
Correct, that is the reason for such design. Thanks both for your contribution.