Where can we publish translation standards for specified languages?

Where can we publish translation standards for specified languages?

by Zhigang Sun -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Hi David,

AMOS is a great tool for collobrative translation, but it is not enough.

We need a place to publish translation standards or guides to contributors, especially newcomers. The standard will at least include:

1. Terms, such as how to translate "grade" in different module
  2. Styles, such as white spaces and punctuations
  3. TODO list with priority

Since different languages have different culture and progress, I believe each language need a dedicated place. Where should we go?

Moodle Docs is good but not good enough. Since all contributors will come here, I think the best solution is creating a wiki in this course and give edit caps to all members. 

If there is any other comitters/contributors of any language needs this too, feel free to give suggestion! Thank you!

Sunner

In reply to Zhigang Sun

Re: Where can we publish translation standards for specified languages?

by koen roggemans -

How about a MoodleDocs page that is an index page with an entry for every language who wants translation documentation?

Personally I'm pro keeping all documentation together.

In reply to koen roggemans

回复: Re: Where can we publish translation standards for specified languages?

by Zhigang Sun -

If amos can show contributors the link to the page, it is ok.

If so, a question is:

Will the translation documentation of every language in the en branch? If so, can we use native language in it? If not, how about the languages without a branch?

In reply to Zhigang Sun

Re: Where can we publish translation standards for specified languages?

by David Mudrák -
Sunner, thanks for the suggestion. I like the idea. I can see pros and cons of either technology - MediaWiki at docs.moodle.org and Moodle Wiki in this course as well. For the purposes of the Czech language pack, we have started with a Moodle Wiki in a community course at http://moodle.cz. It is supposed to contain guidelines, general comments etc. (basically I started it to gather frequently repeated comments I give to contributors in their submissions). For us, docs.moodle.org was worse alternative as we have closed the Czech version of it (due to lack of regular contributors).

So I would be personally OK with per-language Wiki module here in this course. But these wikis should focuse on language specific issues (like terminology). General information for newcomers on how to use AMOS etc. would be better to keep at one shared/common place.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Zhigang Sun -

Hi David,

I agree that a course can provide more communication tools and easier for amos to integrate document. For example, define translation of terms in glossary and enable auto-link in AMOS translator.

And I also agree that general information should be in English and put together.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Ge Yimin -

Will it be possible that the maintainer of the languages can create the sub-course of translating moodle in native language.

We may use the course to explain the flow,progress of the translating.What more  important is we can use course to train the new translaters.

Anyway, it's good idea to consider the translate of Moodle as a project with proper management and organiztion

In reply to Ge Yimin

Re: 回复: Re: Where can we publish translation standards for specified languages?

by David Mudrák -
Are you sure you need a whole course for that? Again, I have no problem with setting one here at lang.moodle.org. Just note that keeping a course "live" takes a lot of effort and there have to be a real demand for it.

Also, that reminds me that I was thinking about having a course here at this site where official language pack maintainers could "study" about advanced AMOS techniques and other procedures relevant to maintaining a language pack (and at the end, they could also reach some sort of "Certified Language Pack Maintainer" level). However, I am constantly finding myself too busy to prepare such a course ...
In reply to David Mudrák

回复: Re: 回复: Re: Where can we publish translation standards for specified languages?

by Ge Yimin -

I will disucss with the zh-cn's maintainer sunzhigang for the plan of training translator and others about AMOS and moodle tanslate.

By the way, it's really a good idea to having a training course for the language pack maintainers. Although you might be too busy to prepare, pls always keep it in your mind. smile

In reply to Zhigang Sun

回复: Where can we publish translation standards for specified languages?

by Zhigang Sun -

Hi, Koen and David

Because of requests from some contributors, I just temporarily created one page at http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Translation_Guide_for_Chinese_Contributors. And also I add a link to it at http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Translation

When there is an official way to do such things, I'll be happy to migrate it.

If I break some rules, feel free to correct me. Thank you.

Sunner