Using translation memories

Using translation memories

by José Miguel Andonegi Martínez -
Number of replies: 6

Hi:

Is it possible to work with translation memories in AMOS?

Otherwise, is it possible to create a TM out of language packs? It would be very helpful for to keep terminological coherence.

Thanks!

In reply to José Miguel Andonegi Martínez

Tárgy: Using translation memories

by Károly Fábricz -

Hi Miguel,

I am afraid AMOS does not provide you with a TM per se.

The output produced by AMOS for download as a zip file may, however, serve as a suitable source for generating a TM - as long as you take into consideration the file structure. The basic issue is to make a well thought through distinction between identical string identifiers across files.

Hope this helps.

Karoly

In reply to Károly Fábricz

Re: Tárgy: Using translation memories

by Joseph Rézeau -

Karoly "The basic issue is to make a well thought through distinction between identical string identifiers across files."

Well, if there are identical string identifiers in the language files of a given language, does this not mean that there are redundant identifiers, which should not be there?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Using translation memories

by Károly Fábricz -

Joseph,

Not necessarily. The toughest issue with translating Moodle using AMOS is, in my view, the lack of context. To give you an example, the string identifier 'availability' is used in 3 different php files. If it refers to availability of a course, it will be rendered (at least, into HU) differently from when it refers to availability of an upgrade.  (Cf. assign.php, moodle.php, and plugin.php).

You will find quite a number of identical identifiers like the above.

Because identifiers are devised by developers of various modules, such concurrence cannot be excluded.

Karoly

In reply to Károly Fábricz

Re: Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Using translation memories

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Karoly,

Point taken. Totally agree with the importance of context. Actually I believe it is almost impossible to translate correctly the language strings if you do not have a running instance of Moodle on your desktop, where you can actually see and understand the scope and semantic value of the strings you are about to translate. No amount of "translation memory" devices will replace such contextualisation.

Joseph

by Orestes Mas -

I partly agree with you, Joseph, but my experience translating Moodle (and other free software like KDE) to Catalan has shown me that in some cases is not easy to find a string on the user interface, or the desired string is only shown in some cases that are not easy (or time-consuming) to reproduce by the translator.

So proper context is a first step and sometimes a necessary and valuable information to be able to produce quality translations.

My 5 cents wink

Orestes.

by German Valero -
Picture of Language pack maintainers

@Joseph, Yes

I totally agree with your statement: "Actually I believe it is almost impossible to translate correctly the language strings if you do not have a running instance of Moodle on your desktop, where you can actually see and understand the scope and semantic value of the strings you are about to translate."

Would you be so kind as to include this very wise advise for translators in the Moodle Docs for translation, at http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Translation ?

Thanks,

Germán Valero