New Amos interface

New Amos interface

by koen roggemans -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Hi David and all,

The performance on the new server is great, the interface looks really nice.  Thanks a lot for your work on this!.

There is one thing I find a little bit counter intuitive: the missing and outdated strings selection box is hidden in the more options section, while I would think that is the reason of existence of the whole application smile. Once selected, it remembers your selection really well, which solves the problem.

In reply to koen roggemans

Re: New Amos interface

by David Mudrák -

while I would think that is the reason of existence of the whole application

Well, yes. But it also depends on how the filter is used and what for. AMOS is used not only by lang pack maintainers, but by community contributors too. So I was trying to make the UI a bit friendlier for them (as AMOS has been really designed just for the maintainers initially).

The available stats show that the field "Show missing and outdated strings" is checked in roughly 28% of cases. So users leave it unchecked in most cases and it makes sense to actually have it as an advanced option.

My other reasoning was that, for mortal contributing users, it is actually more intuitive to see all strings in the selected component (translated and missing). The interface should work well even without "Show missing and outdated strings only". For example, pressing the tabulator jumps to the first red (missing) translation field. This allows the user to see the context of the translation.

And finally, with the field checked, you can easily get "No strings found" in cases when everything is translated and up to date. However, some users may be actually confused by that. So again I thought it would be better to keep this option invisible unless you really know how it's working and what it is good for.

I'm open to further discussion though - the last thing I want to see is annoyed AMOS power users smile

In reply to David Mudrák

by German Valero -

Hi David et al,

Congratulations on the new AMOS look smile.

I had some difficulties with it for the first 30 minutes, but I think I can use it (almost) normally now.

Except that, when I click on  'standard' components for DEV es_mx, I get all 20320 strings translated and none missing smile , but when I click on 'All' components, I get 40640 found and 20320 missing sad , and all the missing strings are shown besides the existing strings sad . I think it is very weird and most likely a bug for the tracker, but I would like to know if other translators have the same issue or I am doing something terribly wrong. Please, help smile
In reply to David Mudrák

by Nicolas Martignoni -

Hi David,

I just tried it. Very neat. Thank you.

Just like Koen, I'm annoyed that the setting "Show missing and outdated strings" is not accessible straightforward. IMHO, maintainer AND community contributors use AMOS essentialy for translating missing strings, and i'll advocate that this setting should be checked by default.

As a matter of fact, 28% of cases could really be a lot, given the fact that most people don't even bother to change default settings smile

Another nit-picking thing for Stage actions: I think not only the "Commit" button should be displayed by default (suggesting to new users that this is the only way out). I suggest that "Unstage all" (and maybe "Edit staged strings") are also displayed by default. These two actions are not only power user ones.

Finally, is it possible that you migrate AMOS plugin already translated strings (2.4) into the 2.7 branch, so that we can quickly check and change missing and outdated (big grin) strings in AMOS interface?

Cheers, Nicolas

In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Nicolas Martignoni -

Just adding one more comment: the checkbox "Keep strings staged" should not be displayed by default (this is a rarely used power user thing).

In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Batpurev Batchuluun -

how to commit and propagate the translation with this new interface?

In reply to Batpurev Batchuluun

by Batpurev Batchuluun -
help me with new AMOS

When submit translation to language pack maintainers it comes to my EMAIL that 

"There is a pending contributed translation requiring your action

#9814 Some Mongolian translations

As the language pack maintainer, you are supposed to review and eventually
commit all submitted contributions. When done, please mark them as accepted or 

rejected."

which means I am the language pack maintainer but when I follow the link and try to commit I can not find COMMIT button instead there is only APPLY button!