Using AMOS tool for language pack translation

Catalan: linguistic criteria

maria a l'Alguer
Catalan: linguistic criteria
by Maria Pérez - Wednesday, 3 December 2014, 6:20 PM

Hello,

As forthe catalan translation, I have some doubts, such as:

-"Students”. We should translate it as the generic name for all students "estudiantat” or the plural "estudiants”?

-We must use quotation marks («») or high quotes ("”)?

Thank you,
Picture of German Valero
Re: Catalan: linguistic criteria
by German Valero - Wednesday, 3 December 2014, 9:54 PM
Language pack maintainers

Hello María,

In the Mexican Spanish pack, I have translated "students" as "estudiantes" (plural), and I always keep the same quotation marks that the original English string had.

Saludos,

maria a l'Alguer
by Maria Pérez - Friday, 5 December 2014, 6:39 PM

Thank you, German.

Picture of Orestes Mas
by Orestes Mas - Thursday, 4 December 2014, 8:14 AM

Hello Maria,

Regarding your first question, I think that the use of «estudiantat» is promoted because «estudiants» is male gender and thus its use «must be avoided» under the politically correctness of our times. But there have been recently a vivid debate on if we should try to avoid male gender or not, because in catalan male gender has been historically used generically. There are renowned academics that think you should use only male gender in these situations (see, for instance, http://www.vilaweb.cat/noticia/4153027/20131031/carme-junyent-sacabi-comedia-desdoblar-masculi-femeni.html)

So, my opinion is that you can use male gender without worrying about it.

As for your second question, in catalan we should use always the latin quotation marks («»). There are, however, some few exceptions. Please have a look at http://www.softcatala.org/wiki/Guia_d%27estil/Guia_2010/Aspectes_convencionals#Puntuaci.C3.B3.

Orestes.

maria a l'Alguer
by Maria Pérez - Friday, 5 December 2014, 6:40 PM

Thank you, Orestes.