Moodle 2.1dev branch is now available in AMOS

Moodle 2.1dev branch is now available in AMOS

by David Mudrák -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Language pack maintainers
A new branch 2.1dev has been created in AMOS as a fork of the current 2.0. From now on, both branches must be maintained separately. This may be pretty new situation for translators who do not have experience with software source code branching.

The benefit of branching is that strings can be re-worded, deleted or added at one branch without affecting an other one. Of course, the trade-off is that the maintainers have to maintain multiple versions of their language.

In order not to have to translate every string twice (once at 2.0, then at 2.1), there is a merge tool available for the language pack maintainers at the Stage page. The merge tool can copy translated strings from one branch to another. Therefore, I would suggest that translators continue working on 2.0 branches and they just merge their work to 2.1 from time to time. The opposite way is possible, of course - work in 2.1dev branch and merge back to 2.0.

To have a report of the differences between branches, a new AMOS Diff tool is going to be written (hopefully soon). After that, it should be easy to detect all places that require special attention as the translation for one branch (eg 2.0) is different from the another branch (eg 2.1).

Let us see how it works. Enjoy!
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Moodle 2.1dev branch is now available in AMOS

by Miki Alliel -

Hello David

I just want to understand something clearly .

If I check the 2.1 box translate strings and commit, does it effect automatically the 2.0 version?

And if I check the 2.0 box translate strings and commit, does it effect automatically the 2.1 version?

THANKS

In reply to Miki Alliel

by David Mudrák -
Hi Miki

Those checkboxes actually influence the filter only. You can use them to let the Translator tool display strings from various versions. Then every row in the table is associated with one particular string at one particular version (see the first row in the table). The translation is then staged for the given row's version.

So no, there is nothing happening automatically between those versions. The Merge tool is currently the way how to copy strings from branch to another.

Hope this makes it clearer.
In reply to David Mudrák

by David Mudrák -
By the way, I would personally suggest to continue working on 2.0 now and merge new translations from 2.0 to 2.1dev. At least, anything on the dev branch is subject of change so your effort can easily be wasted if the string is dropped or re-worded.