Public list of pending contributions

Public list of pending contributions

by Daniel Neis Araujo -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Hello,

me as a language pack maintainer can see the list of contributions, but can the other contributors see that list also ?

It would be nice if anyone (registered, maybe) could see the list of contributions pending for a language.

I think it would be a simple addition and people usually put the name of what they translated on the description of the contribution so people would see if there are contributions pending for that module before start to work on that.

Of course, check contributions when a user pick the strings to translate on translater and tell that there are pending contributions for the string would be even better, but seems more difficult to develop.

A simple and more visible list would be nice =)

In reply to Daniel Neis Araujo

Re: Public list of pending contributions

by Alexander Bias -

Hi Daniel,

I fully support your request, but I would definitely go with the second solution for the sake of user experience. As a language contributor, going through a list of arbitrarily-labeled contributions to see if there is a pending contribution for the stuff which I want to translate seems tedious, especially as I - as far as I remember - cannot look at the content of the contribution, not even for the contributions which I created myself.

I remember asking David about the second solution some years ago, but he told me that the current logic of AMOS does not allow that feature without large refactorings. Perhaps things have changed in the meantime, so I give my +1 again smile

Thanks,
Alex

In reply to Alexander Bias

by David Mudrák -

I do admit that a label like "There is already a contributed translation for this string" would be best from user's perspective. But currently there would be a problem with the performance. There is a complex SQL query to obtain all the filtered strings for the translator page (and that one is already slow enough in certain conditions). Contributed translations are not stored in the database until they are accepted, so joining them with the SQL query results would have to be slow one-by-one operation.

But we have more problems with the AMOS storage backend anyway. It had been designed just before Moodle 2.0 was released and it does not cope well with frequent Moodle releases. Plus, when all the plugins were added to it, it made the situation even worse (long story short, we duplicate a lot of things for each branch/version). So it is really the strings storage system that should be rewritten - and then this feature might be added more easily. Maybe.

In reply to Daniel Neis Araujo

by koen roggemans -

I understand the problem. Developing time is scarce.

I try to keep the list of contributions as short as possible and to do that, I insist contributors to make really small contributions (30 and preferably less strings). That gives me the opportunity to review some contributions while waiting for some other process to finish and quickly go through the list. 

But yes, this situation occasionally creates double work, both for contributors as for language pack maintainers.

There is a feature request for this: MDLSITE-1965. Please vote