My language pack think it is a child language of a missing parent lang pack!

My language pack think it is a child language of a missing parent lang pack!

by Bente Olsen -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Language pack maintainers
My language have apparently missed it's parent language, which should be 'modersprog'.
It seem to have forgotten that it used to be a parent language it self!
Screenshot from the language import page
above: Screenshot from the language import page

Screnshot from download.moodle.org/langpack/3.3
Screnshot from download.moodle.org/langpack/3.3

It seems to affect alle versions.

When it comes to version 3.1 i has 23890 changes from modersprog, which means that it is practically 106% translated smile

In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: My language pack think it is a child language of a missing parent lang pack!

by koen roggemans -

Someone made a mistake smile. Whoever did it, please read https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Translation_langconfig smile

I deleted the parent language string for Danish in all versions, so that should be solved.

In reply to koen roggemans

Ang: Re: My language pack think it is a child language of a missing parent lang pack!

by Bente Olsen -

Thanks, Koen smile

I know that someone not to mention any names wink

Actually now and then I could use a comment feature next to a string in the translation interface. E.g. there are occasions where it would be nice to know if an English word should be translated as a noun or whatever, and a comment telling which context a string were used in would be nice to. A comment/info feature could also inform you about the amusing and  impactful possibilities of the parentlanguage,core_langconfig string big grin

In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: My language pack think it is a child language of a missing parent lang pack!

by German Valero -

When an AMOS translator encounters an English short sentence or single word English language string, that can be either a verb or a noun (or otherwise have two differnet meanings), I think the translator can:

• Send a message/Email to Helen Foster, She has been extremely helpful, kind and quick to reply.
  • Submit the string to the en_fixes language pack and state the problem and possibly suggest an alternative unequivocal wording (or the two possible interpretations), to be corroborated/corrected by Helen upon advisement from the developer who wrote the string. This, I think, is one of the reasons for having this special en_fixes language pack and has contributed to improve Moodle for all languages.

But, as a translator myself, I sometimes wonder if my failure to guess the one right meaning could merely be my ancient, scarce and biased knowledge of English grammar and my lack of confidence; and I might decide to randomly choose one meaning and translate it accordingly, instead of risking exposing myself as a non-professional translator. We, humans, all may make mistakes; and I have received a few AMOS contributions by my fellow contrymen asking me to fix my wrong choice sad .

This has happened to me a few times  sad and I wonder which should be the best method to deal with these difficult strings which could have two or more different meanings.

I think this could be an interesting subject to discuss among Moodle translators.

In reply to German Valero

Re: Ang: Re: My language pack think it is a child language of a missing parent lang pack!

by koen roggemans -

"I have received a few AMOS contributions by my fellow contrymen asking me to fix my wrong choice"

I think that is what it is all about German. This is open software, made by humans, not Gods. That includes the translations. The translators donate their time and effort to create a language pack for their language users to the best of their abilities and for free. The users have the possibility to suggest a correction and that is what they should do if they find a mistake. No one should be embarrassed, no one should be blamed. In this open cooperation the language packs will grow to perfection. A mistake is not the end of the world.

Thank you for this nice write-up German.

Keep on translating and thanks to all of you for your work!

In reply to German Valero

by Helen Foster -

As German mentions, please feel free to message me about any English language strings which are unclear or could be improved.

Many thanks to everyone who has helped improve the quality of the English language pack by reporting misspellings and other typos. smile