Could you help translate MoodleNet in your language?

Could you help translate MoodleNet in your language?

by Mayel de Borniol -
Number of replies: 12

Hello Moodlers!

If you're in this forum, you must know about MoodleNet - a new project for which we are preparing to launch a pilot in just a few short weeks. MoodleNet is an open social media platform to sustainably empower communities of educators to share and learn from each other to improve the quality of education. 

We want MoodleNet to be useful for educators around the world, so of course we need it to speak your language! As well as launching in English, it's very important for us to launch in other languages, too. We want to encourage the communities, content, and discussions that will come to life on the platform to be representative of the wonderful diversity of this community. 

Does that sound like something with which you'd like to help? If so, please reply to this post with:

1. A list of languages you know, including your level in each: Native ; Fluent ; High writing profiency ; High reading proficiency; or Intermediate. (Please don't forget to include your level in English).
  2. A few words about your experience (if any) with translation, and a link to some of your work (for example, if you've helped translate Moodle Core, include a link to your profile on AMOS)

We will then message you if we need any more details, and with information about how to get started when translation into your language(s) is ready to begin. We're planning to start with some of the most common languages among users of Moodle)

If you're selected to help translate the pilot version of MoodleNet before it launches, you'll also be invited to join as one of the first pilot users to try out the platform for yourself.

Thank you!

In reply to Mayel de Borniol

Re: Could you help translate MoodleNet in your language?

by German Valero -
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Hi,

I am AMOS maintainer for the mexican Spanish language pack.

1. Native (mexican) Spanish speaker, fluent in English

2. Translated 100% Moodle 3.x core and most additional plugins, making es_mx the largest, most complete language pack besides English .

Also contributed some strings to en_fixes

Also translated recent Moodle HQ YouTube videos.

Also translated several user tours from Moodle.net.

See my Moodle profile.

by Ralf Hilgenstock -

Hello Mayel

English: fluent

German: native

Translator for German language pack since >10 years. Translator for Mahara and several other tools. Official Moodle Partner in Germany.

Ralf

by koen roggemans -

Hi Mayel,

I think your request here is a little bit like kicking in an open door smile : as you can see, there are an awful lot of really experienced Moodle translators here (200+ maintainers), who loyally translate for many years every string that appears in Moodle.  I'm inclined to say: throw your strings here and the work will be done (just like e.g. the mobile strings, the moodle.org strings are all done here).

I am a little bit confused about "MoodleNet is an open social media platform to sustainably empower communities of educators to share and learn from each other to improve the quality of education".  I must have missed something, since I thought Moodle.org is doing that already nearly 17 years and therefore containing a lot of very valuable tips and tricks on every aspect of Moodle. I hope all that information is not going to get lost in transition. Or is it a 4th pilar (next to moodle.org, the docs and moodle.net)?

To answer your questions:

• Translating Moodle to Dutch since 2003
  • Translation coördinator for Moodle since 2004
  • Translation experiënce with several other OS projects (Freemind, Mahara, Tracker video analysis and modeling tool, ...)
  • Dutch (native) and English (fluent)
  • Profile link by clicking on my name above this forum post

Kind regards

Koen

Er: Could you help translate MoodleNet in your language?

by Iñigo Zendegi Urzelai -

Hi Mayel,

1.- Basque and Spanish: native; English: fluent

2.- My experience

• I've helped translating Moodle and participated in the community since 2008 (my profile)
  • I'm currently one of the Basque language pack maintainers (we have Moodle 3.6 core 100% translated!) and I contribute to es_es and en_fixes language packs from time to time.
  • We manage the Basque translation of the non-standard Moodle plugins here
  • I help translating some other free software tools to Basque within Librezale group (Kodi, LibreELEC, LineageOS...)

I agree with Koen's reflection, adding MoodleNet to AMOS would be a good option to make it easy to translate it in the long term, even if you're thinking in something else for the pilot version.

by Mayel de Borniol -

Thank you to everyone who has volunteered so far, and also for the feedback and suggestions!

> adding MoodleNet to AMOS would be a good option to make it easy to translate it in the long term, even if you're thinking in something else for the pilot version

This is what is most likely to happen. 

by Stamos A. Spiliotis -
Hi,
Greek is my native language,
I am a Moodle language pack maintainer (also proud to reach 100%).
I am already a coordinator in transifex.
I am now waiting to be invited to join as one of the first pilot users to try out the platform as you said smile