How to edit a dead child language

Re: How to edit a dead child language

by German Valero -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Language pack maintainers

I continued examining the strings inside the es_ve language pack and I found that:

it includes activequiz.php strings for an additional plugin, where it "translates" the English word "quiz" into "quiz".

While this contrasts sharply with both the Internatinal Spanish (cuestionario) and Mexican Spanish (examen) translations, it is senseless, because the many (318) cases where "quiz" is used in Moodle core, it will be replaced by the es "cuestionario" in 258 (as 40 strings are still untranslated).

I think this does not benefit the Moodle users from Venezuela, as it lacks consistency for the highly used word 'quiz'.

The calendar.php strings only have $string['monthnext'] = 'Mes próximo'; which is identical to the es translation. This is another wasteful translation file.

Finally, the $string['popuplaunched'] = 'Este paquete SCORM ha sido abierto en una ventana emergente, si has terminado de usar este recurso, pulsa aquí para regresar a la página del curso'; is not that different from the es translation "Este paquete SCORM se ha abierto en una nueva ventana, si has terminado de ver este recurso, haz clic aquí para regresar a la página del curso".

So, I must insist that this es_ve language pack, in it's current state, is of no real benefit to Moodle users from Venezuela.

Therefore I request that the files inside it (access.php, activequiz.php, calendar.php and scorm.php) be deleted from the es_ve language pack, and only the lanconfig.php file should remain (for compatibility with current users of this language pack).

I volunteer to act as a maintainer for the scaled-down es_ve language pack, while a new (native Venezuelan) maintainer is found. I will carefully check the langconfig.php language file and make any needed fixes.

I think my proposal takes care of Koen's concerns while it removes the un-needed and mis-translated four files (access.php, activequiz.php, calendar.php and scorm.php), which in turn will result in a better user experience for Venezuelan Moodle users.