New languages for workplace

New languages for workplace

by German Valero -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Language pack maintainers

I recently noticed that there are now some new language packs for Workplace (English for Workplace, German for Workplace, Italian for Workplace, Norwegian for Workplace, Spanish for Workplace).

The English for workplace language pack currently has only 2 strings for langconfig.php:

$string['thislanguage'] = 'English for Workplace';
$string['thislanguageint'] = 'English for Workplace';

Will these language packs be used to better adapt Moodle strings to a workplace environment?

Would it be desirable for the current main languages pack maintainers to volunteer for these new packages ?

In reply to German Valero

Re: New languages for workplace

by Ralf Hilgenstock -

Hi German

I think someone from Workplace Project at HQ should explain in detail.

Moodle workplace is a fresh new moodle distribution from HQ with several new features for corporate use.  This version of Moodle will be distributed by Moodle Partners. The Moodle Partners that are involved will maintain the translation. There is not only the langconfig file. For several features that are included are additional lang files.

ralf

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Marina Glancy -

Thanks, Ralf, this is a very good explanation.

These packages were created to be used with the Moodle Workplace product. English pack (en_wp) will contain customisations of the core/standard plugins language strings to make them better suitable for the work environment. Workplace language packs in other languages (**_wp) will do the same and also contain translations for the plugins used in Moodle Workplace.

Only Moodle Partners that are involved in development and hosting of the Moodle Workplace will be maintainers of the workplace language packs (except for English that is maintained by HQ). As with any other language pack they can accept suggestions from the community. However, Moodle Workplace code is not available for download and translations that are done without seeing the product may be inaccurate.

In reply to Marina Glancy

by Nicolas Martignoni -

Thank you for this info. Some questions (out of curiosity):

• Is there some mechanism to ensure that translators of **_wp lang packs do follow the terminology guidelines of existing lang packs?
  • How will the **_wp work be coordinated? Is there some MoodleHQ people who will be "maintainer" of this lang pack to do the coordination, or some other way?
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Ralf Hilgenstock -

Hi Nicolas

I think this will be different from language to language. All translators will be experienced Moodlers. I will do it for German package.

I think we should change terminology for workplace lang version. I. e. Teacher should be trainer and student participant. Is there anybody who will push and coordinate this for en_wp.

Ralf