What is the meaning of / in '{$a}\

What is the meaning of / in '{$a}\

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Language pack maintainers

I've seen several strings with an ending \ like in  '{$a}\. What is the meaning of '\'?
Its used at the end of the string.

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: What is the meaning of / in '{$a}\

by Helen Foster -

Hi Ralf,

It sounds like the backslash () has been included by mistake. I tried searching but couldn't find any standard strings ending in a backslash, so I guess the ones you have found are for plugins?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Hi Helen

I found lots of them in new workplace lang files.

Ralf

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Helen Foster -

Thanks Ralf for the pointer. I created MDLSITE-5870 for the problem to be investigated.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi,

Yesterday, i updated translation of report_customsql plugin, and there was several strings shown with '{$a}\

I was surprised about that, but didn't tried to really understand why, and translated these strings as it was shown. And today, i see in Moodle that these strings are not well shown : 'text\ when they should be 'text'

If i understand well, i must update them in AMOS with \'{$a}\' as they are in the source file?

In fact, for french, it's better to use  « {$a} » but my question is certainly valid for other languages.

And i hope this will soon be corrected, to avoid people making same mistake as me.

Séverin

In reply to Séverin Terrier

Απάντηση: Re: What is the meaning of / in '{$a}\

by Stamos A. Spiliotis -
I have stumbled upon the same problem more than a year ago and I got directions to go to Moodle.tracker where I found out there is a known bug. [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDLSITE-3589]
After some comments there I decided to search for the bug and yes I have already found it and reported it in tracker. But nobody answered me and I think it is because it didn't get many votes.
Then I searched again and I found a solution which I proposed in the tracker.
But again nobody looked at it sad
Maybe there are not enough developers right now or it is not so important.
I wish I could change the code myself but I don't know what exactly is a patch and how to apply it. smile
The worse thing about it is that we are not allowed to change the text in English. An author/developer of a plug-in told me that maybe moodle or his code needs this backslash so he was afraid to change it. The truth, in my opinion, is that what we see in English strings is not the original string the author wrote. The bug changed the text and we are now afraid to restore it to the original. Instead we have to contact ALL the authors and persuade them that there is a problem and they have to make the change
themselves. sad sad sad