Case sensitivity of string identifiers

Case sensitivity of string identifiers

by Joost Elshoff -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any rules for developers when it comes to case used in string identifiers in the language pack files.

I've come across a number of plugins causing local problems, because the developer found the necesity to use both upper and lower case in the string identifiers (which go to stringid field in the database).

An example:

qtype_ordering has the following identifiers:

• numberingstyleabc for lower case numbering a., b., c.
  • numberingstyleABC for upper case numbering A., B., C.
  • numberingstyleiii for lower case numbering i., ii., iii.
  • numberingstyleIII for upper case numbering I., II., III.

A similar thing seems to be happening with qtype_musictheory

When trying to update a language pack locally, these mixed / upper case identifiers cause the tool to stop working altogether. 

If there are any rules for developers, where can I find those... and more importantly: how to convince a developer to solve these issues in his/her plugins?

In reply to Joost Elshoff

Re: Case sensitivity of string identifiers

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Apart from it being a bad idea to distinguish things just by upper/lower case, I can imagine the problem rises when you are using a file system on your server that doesn't care about capitalisation of files, like NTFS (Windows) or HSF+ (Mac).

Unix and FreeBSD file systems might not show the problem you describe, since they are case sensitive.

If that's the case, it should be filed as a bug.

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by David Mudrák -

Ouch, that's a good catch.

The only implemented rul I am aware of is that the string identifiers must pass the PARAM_STRINGID validation which is currently implemented as a regex

|^[a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z0-9\.:/_-]*$|

so there are no special rules about the letter case.

Some components (such as countries.php) have all string ids in upper case, too.

I think the problem is with the way how the current (and let's admit, the obsolete) language customisation tool handles these strings ids when it loads them into the database.

In reply to David Mudrák

by German Valero -

Shouldn't the language customization tool be a high priority tool, subject to continuos updates/upgrades ?