Replacing AMOS?

Replacing AMOS?

by Mitja Podreka -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Language pack maintainers

I've recently (yesterday) started to use Weblate for translation of another open-source application. Weblate is an open source web-based self-hosted translation tool.

What instantly sold me was immediate quality/markup/syntax/consistency checks and support for translation memory/machine translation.

Is there a plan to implement this features in AMOS or possibility to consider migrating Moodle translation to Weblate or similar application?

In reply to Mitja Podreka

Re: Replacing AMOS?

by David Mudrák -

Yes, I also heard good things about Weblate. In fact, I am looking forward to FOSDEM'20 where I plan to attend the Webplate presentations and hopefully also talk to its authors. I would be more than happy to use a specialized tool for the translating itself, and let AMOS do the rest what it was designed for - the Automated Manipulation of Strings (i.e. tracking the moodle core string changes, allowing the Plugins directory to register plugin strings etc).

by David Mudrák -

It would be also useful (and needed in fact) to hear from other AMOS users and language pack maintainers. Everybody, if you find a minute, please feel encouraged to go and try Weblate at https://hosted.weblate.org/ and share your impressions / experience here. Thanks in advance.

In reply to David Mudrák

by koen roggemans -

There are a lot of things I like about it:

• it's an open source project - open source projects should use open source software if available
  • interesting workflows possible, but also what we are used to
  • contributions processed per string rather then a lot of strings in one go - this is IMHO a current problem on AMOS, where it is possible to create contributions too large to be nice to process.
  • I like the suggestions and comments-feature
  • Using a secondary languages as an added source language. A lot of our translators speaking better French, Spanish or Russian then English will like that a lot! It's a frequently asked feature.
  • It could do Moodlenet-translation if there is interest from that team to move to an open source translation interface

I couldn't find anything, apart from a lot of work to move and refactore things, that speaks against weblate.

by David Mudrák -

Just to let you know we are now closely co-operating with Weblate and actually designing the migration path. No official final decision yet, but I am pretty sure we are close to it wink