Replacing AMOS?

Replacing AMOS?

از Mitja Podreka در
Number of replies: 6
تصویر Language pack maintainers

I've recently (yesterday) started to use Weblate for translation of another open-source application. Weblate is an open source web-based self-hosted translation tool.

What instantly sold me was immediate quality/markup/syntax/consistency checks and support for translation memory/machine translation.

Is there a plan to implement this features in AMOS or possibility to consider migrating Moodle translation to Weblate or similar application?

In reply to Mitja Podreka

Re: Replacing AMOS?

از David Mudrák در

Yes, I also heard good things about Weblate. In fact, I am looking forward to FOSDEM'20 where I plan to attend the Webplate presentations and hopefully also talk to its authors. I would be more than happy to use a specialized tool for the translating itself, and let AMOS do the rest what it was designed for - the Automated Manipulation of Strings (i.e. tracking the moodle core string changes, allowing the Plugins directory to register plugin strings etc).

از David Mudrák در

It would be also useful (and needed in fact) to hear from other AMOS users and language pack maintainers. Everybody, if you find a minute, please feel encouraged to go and try Weblate at https://hosted.weblate.org/ and share your impressions / experience here. Thanks in advance.

In reply to David Mudrák

از koen roggemans در

There are a lot of things I like about it:

• it's an open source project - open source projects should use open source software if available
  • interesting workflows possible, but also what we are used to
  • contributions processed per string rather then a lot of strings in one go - this is IMHO a current problem on AMOS, where it is possible to create contributions too large to be nice to process.
  • I like the suggestions and comments-feature
  • Using a secondary languages as an added source language. A lot of our translators speaking better French, Spanish or Russian then English will like that a lot! It's a frequently asked feature.
  • It could do Moodlenet-translation if there is interest from that team to move to an open source translation interface

I couldn't find anything, apart from a lot of work to move and refactore things, that speaks against weblate.

از David Mudrák در

Just to let you know we are now closely co-operating with Weblate and actually designing the migration path. No official final decision yet, but I am pretty sure we are close to it چشمک