To which Moodle releases do my translations go?

To which Moodle releases do my translations go?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 7

I'm new here. In the translation tool I see Moodle releases appearing with each string. (See screen-shot) For example 2.0+ means the string goes to every Moodle installation since rel. 2.0, when it updates this language pack?

When we are there, what about abandoned strings?

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: To which Moodle releases do my translations go?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Hello Visvanath, welcome to the Moodle translators community!

The "2.0+" means that the string (or its translation, depending on which column it is displayed) was introduced in Moodle 2.0 and has not changed since then. If that string gets updated (reworded), the AMOS translator will show the more recent version - e.g. "3.10+". If you need to translate the older version, you can select the particular version in the translator filter. The history of string changes is also available for each string.

In reply to David Mudrák

Hi David

I'm slowly realizing that how complicated the flow of translated strings can get! 

I don't claim to get the full picture, but not urgent either. What is important for me at this time is, the bunch of sites which prompted me to complete the Sinhala translation are still in rel. 3.8. Expected to be upgraded to 3.9, but I have no control over their administration. So the question is whether those sites will get my translations and when?

P.S. Here's the missing screen-shot in my OP:

Attachment lang-versions.png

by David Mudrák -

Let me suggest to not worry about versions much. In most cases you should focus on translating the latest string anyway.

Once your translations get saved (i.e. once you commit your translations permanently at the Stage page), the Sinhala language pack will get updated at https://download.moodle.org/langpack/3.8. All the sites having that language pack installed should get it updated automatically within a day or so (assuming their cron and scheduled tasks work as expected).

In reply to David Mudrák

Hi David

Thanks. That's a relief. I should concentrate on the translation itself. There is a huge backlog and it seems that during that time the package lost all its contributors!

Just to be sure: Is there a simple trick to find out whether my translations are flowing in to one of those (3.8) Moodles, with only student access?

by koen roggemans -
Find an untranslated string in the interface on your target site, translate it on https://lang.moodle.org and in max 24 hrs it should be changed on the site. 

You can identify a string in the interface accurately using this documentation: https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Language_customisation#Finding_the_component_and_string_identifier
In reply to koen roggemans

by German Valero -
If the Moodle server does not show the translated string after 24 hours, you may kindly ask the Moodle admin of that server to please do a manual update of all installed language packs as described in https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Language_packs#Language_pack_updates
In reply to German Valero

Thanks to both of you. Yes, I found these rather odd strings, under Additional names of the profiles, were not yet translated:

Translated and committed them in AMOS. They arrived next day in my test site (3.9), after a manual language pack update. Will check with the real target sites (3.8), whether they get the new strings too. Anyway, it is their job.