Strings for OU Wiki and OU Blogs

Strings for OU Wiki and OU Blogs

by Ralf Krause -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Hi David,

I read in the Moodle Roadmap that we will get the OU Wiki. The strings for the OU Wiki are nearly completely translated but they do not come with the module download. The strings are in the branch for Moodle 2.1 only. Can we get the strings in every new branch? Can we get the strings for OU Blogs into AMOS?

I looked at the code of the ouwiki module. The language folders are named as de_utf8, de_du_utf8 and so on. The developer knows about this but he does not know the correct way for the best result.

Sam Marshall wrote in the tracker:

If you've translated it in AMOS, shouldn't I just be deleting the German language pack from our source so that it can be downloaded sutomatically or something? I don't know how that system works but I thought it was done by downloads. 
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-3680 

Please write what would be the way to fix the problem.

Ralf

In reply to Ralf Krause

Re: Strings for OU Wiki and OU Blogs

by David Mudrák -
Hi Ralf, I commented in the tracker.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Ralf Krause -

Hi David,

meanwhile Sam has changed the activity OU Wiki so we can translate the strings. I tried to import the stings from Moodle 2.1 into the other branches 2.2 and 2.3 but it does not work. Is it wrong to import the file ouwiki.php with the first part of http://lang.moodle.org/local/amos/stage.php

What should I do?

Ralf

In reply to Ralf Krause

by Ralf Krause -

Hi David,

would you please import the strings for OU Wiki for Moodle 2.2?
OU Wiki works fine with Moodle 2.2 but I can't translate it for this branch.

Ralf

In reply to David Mudrák

by German Valero -

Hi David,

OU Wiki uses OU Search, and we will need to translate the strings in OU Search in order to fully use OU Wiki in a language other than english.

Could you please see if it would be possible to put the strings from OU Search into AMOS for all 2.x branches ?

Thanks,

German Valero

In reply to German Valero

by David Mudrák -
Well, I also started to think of an alternative approach: For contrib plugins, AMOS could automatically include the translation in all versions higher than the "real" once if the plugin doe snot have explicit strings registered there.

So for example, if there is a contributed plugin mod_foobar registered in AMOS on version 2.1 and you have it translated into your language, the foobar.php would be automatically present in 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 ZIP files. This seems to mimic the legacy behaviour well for contrib plugins.

I just can't tell yet if this would have an performance impacts. Generating ZIP packages is already pretty time consuming job (takes approximately 15 minutes for each branch) so we might need to return to the original schedule and generated ZIP packages once a day only or so (instead of every 3 hours as we do now).
In reply to David Mudrák

by koen roggemans -

As for the performance: how long do you think to keep the old (read unsupported) branches for David?

In reply to koen roggemans

by David Mudrák -
I'm really not sure Koen. For example, the support for 2.1 is going to end soon and will be switched to the security-fixes only mode. I guess it would be enough to generate strings for such branches just once a week or so.
In reply to German Valero

by David Mudrák -
OU Wiki, OU Blog and OU Search should now live in AMOS on branches 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3. You may want to use the Merge tool first to propagate your existing translation from 2.1 branch to the higher ones.