Merge strings from another branch causes ERROR

Merge strings from another branch causes ERROR

by German Valero -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Language pack maintainers

I maintain the mexican spanish language pack.

When I try to merge strings from 2.3 branch into 2.4dev branch I get a red rectangle error stating:

"Error: Invalid string identifier format simple picture"

I also get the same error trying to merge 2.2 into 2.3 and when trying to merge 2.1 into 2.2

Merging 2.0 into 2.1 gives the (correct) standard yellow border message "The source branch does not contain any new strings that would be missing at the target branch. Nothing to merge."

Has anybody else seen this red rectangle error in other languages?

In reply to German Valero

Re: Merge strings from another branch causes ERROR

by David Mudrák -
Grrrr. Confirmed, there is a problem. String identifiers are not expected to have spaces in them, as in "format simple picture". There is a bug in AMOS import code and this string should never get inside the AMOS repository. I'll contact the plugin maintainer and ask them to fix their string.

Thanks for the report, please stay tuned.
In reply to David Mudrák

by German Valero -

Thanks David. I will need to merge many strings when Moodle 2.4 is released.

by David Mudrák -
BTW please note there is this "propagate" feature that should minimise the need for the merge.

by David Mudrák -
So, there were couple of strings having a space in their identifier which is not supported (see PARAM_STRINGID). I reported the problem to the maintainers of components and removed the strings from AMOS. The importing tool was patched so this should happen again.

German, can you please try the merge again and let me know how it goes. Thanks.
In reply to David Mudrák

by German Valero -

Hi David,

The merge tool is working beautifully again. Yes

Thanks a lot.

BTW, When I used today the propagate tool with the staged strings produced by the merge branch operation, many white-shaded strings appeared. If I try to commit this white shaded strings (already existing in that branch), those strings ended up being submitted to myself (lang pack maintainer) by myself. No harm is done, but I had to reject my own contributions, which is kind of odd. I'll think no further about this; I'll be more carefull in the future to prevent this odd behaviour.

Thanks again