Moodle reserved words that should not be translated

Moodle reserved words that should not be translated

by German Valero -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Language pack maintainers

I just wrote http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Translation#Moodle_reserved_words_that_must_not_be_translated , which I imagine is correct, but I hope Koen or David can verify and correct if needed.

Moodle DOcs reserved words

but the fj language pack is quite different from the rest of the language packs. Is that wrong ?

fj AMOS language

In reply to German Valero

Re: Moodle reserved words that should not be translated

by David Mudrák -

Hi German

thanks for improving the docs. However, I am afraid that having it stated like this may be a bit confusing. The fact is, no placeholders can be translated. There is no list of "reserved" $a properties. Whatever xyz is put in {$a->xyz}, it must be kept as it is.

In reply to David Mudrák

by German Valero -

Thanks David for your quick and precise answer.

I updated the documentation page to:

==Moodle placeholders must not be translated==

The following words, when enclosed within {curly brackets}, are placeholders for Moodle names of variables, and they should not be translated, but must remain as they are within the curly brackets:

firstname, lastname, username, email, city, country, lang, timezone, mailformat, maildisplay, maildigest, htmleditor, ajax, autosubscribe , institution, department, idnumber, skype , msn, aim, yahoo, icq, phone1, phone2, address, url, description, descriptionformat, password, auth, oldusername , deleted, suspended, course1, course2, course3, course4

They must also be written exactly like this in all translations of the Documentation pages (such as this page); but the documentation writer/translator might like to include a translation enclosed in brackets. For example in the spanish Documentation pages you might find: password (contraseña).

The fact is, no placeholders can be translated in AMOS. There is no official list of "reserved" $a properties. Whatever xyz is put in {$a->xyz}, it must be kept as it is in AMOS.

I hope this is less confusing smile

I would greatly appreciatte if either you, Koen, Helen Foster, or somebody else with a better English grammar than mine, would improve the http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Translation  page smile

By the way, is the fj language pack, which is quite different from the rest of the language packs. wrong ? Maybe you or Koen could write the fj language pack maintainer about this.

Thanks again.

In reply to German Valero

by Mary Cooch -

German: your English is excellentsmile I just changed a few bits of punctuation.