New 'Restriction by language plugin' for Moodle 2.7

New 'Restriction by language plugin' for Moodle 2.7

by German Valero -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Language pack maintainers

A new 'Restriction by language'  availability condition additional plugin for Moodle 2.7 (available from https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=availability_language ) looks very promising for all bi-lingual and multi-lingual sites.

It might be a good idea to try it in as many sites as possible, and if it is as awesome and well implemented as David Mudrák wrote, I'd suggest that we add an issue in the tracker and vote for this plugin to be included in future Moodle core branches.

I will be looking forward to the opinions of other Moodle translators.

In reply to German Valero

Re: New 'Restriction by language plugin' for Moodle 2.7

by Joseph Rézeau -

Just tested, works fine.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Er: Re: New 'Restriction by language plugin' for Moodle 2.7

by Iñigo Zendegi Urzelai -

We've installed this plugin and works great.

This plugin is very useful to design multilingual courses without using the multilang filter or at least partially replacing it.

It's so much easier to do it this way and it really makes the difference, so my +1 to proposing this plugin to be included in the core.

In reply to Iñigo Zendegi Urzelai

Re: Er: Re: New 'Restriction by language plugin' for Moodle 2.7

by David Mudrák -
Good to hear you like it. I guess you have already marked it as your favourite plugin in the Plugins directory wink
In reply to David Mudrák

Er: Re: Er: Re: New 'Restriction by language plugin' for Moodle 2.7

by Iñigo Zendegi Urzelai -

Of course I did it, David!

Great option, BTW

In reply to Iñigo Zendegi Urzelai

Re: Er: Re: Er: Re: New 'Restriction by language plugin' for Moodle 2.7

by Daniel Neis Araujo -

Nice!

By the way, should we close MDL-42991 now that there is a plugin for that?

Kind regards,

Daniel

In reply to Daniel Neis Araujo

Re: Er: Re: Er: Re: New 'Restriction by language plugin' for Moodle 2.7

by Séverin Terrier -
Hi,

In fact no, you should vote for MDL-42991 to have this functionnality included into core!

Séverin
In reply to Daniel Neis Araujo

by Nicolas Martignoni -

Yes, please vote for integration of this function into core.

Vote for MDL-42991.

In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by German Valero -

MDL-42991 now has 16 votes.

Maybe someone (Koen, David or anyone who can get all the Email addresses) could send an Email to all language pack maintainers and translators and ask them to have a look at MDL-42991 and vote for including it into core in Moodle 3.2.

by koen roggemans -

I don't think it's good to orchestrate such a voting. People who need the feature should vote, and only those. That is the only way we have to direct programmers time to where it is most needed.

In reply to koen roggemans

by David Mudrák -

I agree with Koen. Also I can't see why it should be language pack maintainers having so strong vote on this feature. I would prefer hearing from teachers / course designers rather. Additionally, I am generally reserved when it comes accepting plugins into core. I would prefer light core with many well maintained plugins.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Mary Cooch -

Apparently I used to be a language teacher smile I think it is a good plugin  - I wonder if anyone has mentioned the tracker issue in the Moodle for Language Teaching course? (And btw a few years ago someone sent me a private message encouraging me to vote on an issue, and I deliberately didn't vote because they had specifically asked me to!)

In reply to David Mudrák

by German Valero -

While I acknowledge that David has an extremely good first-hand knowledge about Moodle plugins (being the plugins master wizard), many Moodle users world-wide are restricted to using CORE Moodle for teaching, as additional plugins are often not available (eg, free Moodle cloud), or expensive to add (eg, Moodle Partners) by many hosting sites. And the language (other than English) support Moodle has had since version 1 is excellent, but there is still room for improvement.

According to the Statistics page at https://moodle.net/stats/ , the  number of Moodle non-English sites might even be larger than the number of English Moodle sites.

So, I think Moodle would be even better if it had a stronger and easier support for many languages, preferibly simultaneous, usage.

by David Mudrák -

many Moodle users world-wide are restricted to using CORE Moodle for teaching, as additional plugins are often not available

Right. I admit I often forget about this very valid argument.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Nicolas Martignoni -

Also I can't see why it should be language pack maintainers having so strong vote on this feature.

Can't tell for the others. But as a language maintainer, I get a lot of messages/questions/requests about language related features in Moodle (e.g. this one) from the french community, and I feel like I've to transmit these concerns to the whole Moodle community and to Moodle HQ.

I must say too that the 99% of Moodle users of the french community (can't tell for other communities) don't know about the tracker, so when one issue is about a feature they've told me they need, I suggest them to vote about this very issue. Seems fair to me.

In reply to koen roggemans

by German Valero -

I totally agree with Koen: "People who need the feature should vote, and only those". I am afraid I wrote a poorly constructed English paragraph and conveyed the wrong impression.

BUT, my point was: how can somebody vote if that somebody does not know that there is a tracker issue for it?,

I do not want to ask many Moodlers to vote. I want to ask them to have a look at the tracker issue. If they think it is a good idea, they might vote for it.