Some strings are not in AMOS langpack

Some strings are not in AMOS langpack

by Vadim Dvorovenko -
Number of replies: 11

Hello, i'm translating AMOS into russian. I cannot find some strings in AMOS interface, i suppose transation is get from general moodle langpack. I think that strings should be copied to AMOS langpack, becaulse sometimes their translation can differ in different contexts. Allowing to translate them separately will help to translate amos more precisely

Strings:

Found: {}  and Missing: {} ({})  from filter dialog

All help strings in filter dialog (such as "Show strings from these Moodle versions")

Quick instructions on first amos page

Log entry in navifation

Commit filter on log page

In reply to Vadim Dvorovenko

Re: Some strings are not in AMOS langpack

by Vadim Dvorovenko -

"Push all staged strings into a new stash" button on stage page is untranslatable too

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Language pack maintainers
Thanks Vadim for the report

I can understand your point of having context specific copy of strings. In many cases, I use individual copies for strings with different semantics. However I believe that general strings like 'Edit', 'Save' or 'Cancel' can be easily shared across domains (components) as their conceptual meaning is invariant. Have you got some particular example of a string that should not be shared this way?

I reviewed some parts of AMOS code and fixed the places you reported plus some more. Quick instructions were obsoleted now anyway (they were for lang pack maintainers when there was no other documentation) and I replaced them with a general 'about' string that every language maintainer can extend to provide specific instructions or links.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Vadim Dvorovenko -

> Have you got some particular example of a string that should not be shared this way?

No, i've just mean strings, that you moved to langpack in last update, such as Found and Missing.

But i still cannot find in all langpacks Log string, that is printed in navigation block.

by David Mudrák -

But i still cannot find in all langpacks Log string, that is printed in navigation block.

Should be fixed now. Thanks for the report.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Séverin Terrier -

It seems that some strings (like "Languages", "Components", "String identifier") are (able to be) translated when using log.php but not in view.php for AMOS mixed

I think the same strings can be used for both pages.

In reply to Séverin Terrier

by David Mudrák -
Séverin, really? I believe I fixed those. Can you please re-check? These strings from the translator filter are definitely translatable - see http://lang.moodle.org/local/amos/view.php?t=1298405975&v=2000&l=fr&c=local_amos&s=&d=filterlng for example.

Please note that AMOS interface is not updated automatically. I update site language packs once a week during regular upgrade so it might take up to seven days for your translation to appear. Can this be be the reason?
In reply to David Mudrák

Tárgy: Re: Some strings are not in AMOS langpack

by Károly Fábricz -

Hi David,

One environment where context information would be handy is the variable that will take a numerical value. There is no way to know what the variable will be replaced with. (Singular or plural? Or a number at all?)

Another such context is with names (of modules, assignments, etc.). Both of the above contexts would require a different arrangement and, occasionally, a different term, to be used.

A third environment, similar to English "a/an", is where you'd like to know whether the modified term begins with a consonant or a vowel.

Simply put, information on the variable would raise the quality of translations considerably.

Karoly

In reply to Károly Fábricz

Re: Tárgy: Re: Some strings are not in AMOS langpack

by Vadim Dvorovenko -

It's very hard to know, what substitution will be used. To do this, you should analyse every occurence in source code. As far as php variables are not hardly typified, this analysis connot be done automaticaly, as in case with greylisted strings.

And i think it's supposed, that translator can view strings in moodle interface and check in source code, how they works. I will never translate the string before i exactly know, where it will appear.

by Vadim Dvorovenko -

Found, that some strings are still not in langpack

Translator page: "All"/"Standart"/"None", "Save filter settings" (button)

Stage page: "Commit massage", "Commit" (button).