Moodle desktop chooses the wrong language for displaying my site

Moodle desktop chooses the wrong language for displaying my site

by German Valero -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Language pack maintainers

I was testing Moodle Desktop (which seems really cool)  in a macbook and I found it very strange that even though my Moodle 3.2 server has only (besides English) the Mexican Spanish (es_mx) language pack installed, when I opened the Moodle Desktop in the macbook I found that it shows strings that can only come from the International Spanish language pack (es).

I fear that the Moodle desktop App is choosing the language from

• ? somewhere inside the mac configuration, which would be really strange, as I have the Mac OS language as Español México.
  • ... ?

The Moodle Desktop App looks very exciting, but I would like to know if there will be a way to make it use the default Moodle server language. And more important: What happens with multi-language sites ?

Because the screen images were very big, I have temporarilly placed them in Moodle Docs in Spanish at https://docs.moodle.org/all/es/Escritorio_Moodle#Problemas_encontrados_en_Moodle_Desktop_con_el_idioma_Español .

I do not know whether the American-English or the Canadian-French or the Brazilian-Portuguese Moodlers might have similar issues.

You can see this issue with my server for undergraduate veterinarians  at http://apuntesenlinea.fmvz.unam.mx/

username test

password test

This account will be deleted as soon as this issue is fixed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

In reply to German Valero

Re: Moodle desktop chooses the wrong language for displaying my site

by Juan Leyva -

Hi German,

the Mobile app doesn't download the language packs from the server, language packs come inside the binary that is installed on your phone, tablet or desktop (this is why via the app settings you can choose a different language).

In your case, it seems that the problem is that the browser embedded inside Moodle Desktop (Moodle Desktop uses a Chromium browser inside) does not come with support for es_es so it fallbacks to es when it detects that your macOS uses es_es.

Could you upload somewhere a screenshot of the following screen of Moodle Desktop (Configuración -> Acerca de), please, be sure that the section "Agente de usuario del navegador" and "Lenguage del navegador" it is visible in your screenshot.

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by German Valero -

Hi Juan,

I used another Macbook that has Firefox as the default browser and English as the default language for Firefox, and now my Moodle site in Moodle desktop has an English interface !

In reply to Juan Leyva

by German Valero -

Hi Juan,

I can not find the (Configuración -> Acerca de) setting for my Moodle Desktop !

Can you please guide me

In reply to Juan Leyva

by German Valero -

Hi Juan,

If I try to search for Configuración inside the Moodle Desktop top menu I get Mac Help for Mac usage topics !

In reply to German Valero

by Ralf Krause -

Hi German,

normally you will find all app settings in the first app menu under the app name in macOS. No, Moodle Desktop is not a normal Mac app in this case! 

Moodle Desktop does all the same things like Moodle Mobile. So you will find the language setting at the same place as you find it in Moodle Mobile. When you are connected with a Moodle site then you can open the main menu and you will find the settings at the bottom of the main menu. 

Ralf

Attachment moodle-desktop-lang-de.png
Attachment moodle-desktop-lang-en.png
In reply to Ralf Krause

by German Valero -

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for the explanation and the images.

In my old Macbook with an old, non-retina display, the 'App settings' submenu was way too low, outside of the visible screen, and hidden from plain view. Only when I scrolled down, I could then (easily) see the 'App settings' submenu and change the language setting.

Now everything is shown in the right language pack.

Still, I wonder why the Moodle Desktop app did not choose my preferred Moodle language pack. There are 31 language packs to choose from smile

Many thanks to Ralf and Juan.

Attachment Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 14.57.03.png