Missing language strings in AMOS

Missing language strings in AMOS

by Thomas D -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I'm the developer of the Learning Analytics plugin and it appears there are language strings missing in AMOS.

The language file contains 65 strings. AMOS only lists 62 strings. To give an example: The string "navigation_link" is currently missing.

Is this something that I need to fix in the plugin or is this a problem with AMOS?

Thanks, Thomas

In reply to Thomas D

Er: Missing language strings in AMOS

by Iñigo Zendegi Urzelai -
Hi Thomas,

Some months ago I asked about a similar issue, reading David's answer may be helpful to you:

Cheers.

In reply to Iñigo Zendegi Urzelai

Re: Er: Missing language strings in AMOS

by Thomas D -
Hi!

Thanks! So I guess it's a problem with AMOS then as we don't use any complex operators in the language strings...

// edit: I'm wondering if the use of line-breaks in strings is a problem... There are a few of them in the strings in the language file although all of them appear to be imported correctly in to AMOS.
In reply to Thomas D

Re: Missing language strings in AMOS

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Language pack maintainers

This is not an AMOS bug but expected behaviour.

You have three strings with the "_link" suffix in the string id. Such strings have special purpose as documented at https://docs.moodle.org/dev/String_API#Help_strings

Such strings are not expected to be translatable and so the AMOS hides them from the Translator UI. That explains why you see three strings less than expected.

It is recommended that string identifiers follow the same naming rules as variable names (so the string would be navigationlink instead of navigation_link) and so suffixes like this would be used for special behaviour only.

Let me suggest that you rename the string identifier.

In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Missing language strings in AMOS

by Thomas D -
Thanks for clearing this up! It never occurred to me that the identifiers could be the problem...

I'll release an update to fix the strings!