AMOS does not update lang packs every hour

AMOS does not update lang packs every hour

by Ralf Krause -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Hi David,

I don't know if it is a problem with AMOS. I translated some strings in the german language pack de and I tried to get the new strings into my test moodle. I read about the fact that the server generates a new package every hour at xx:45. The last few hours the server did definitly not!

Do you know if the documentation is wrong?  sad
Do you know if there is a problem with the server?

Ralf

From the moodle docs:

Language pack maintainers have write access into the AMOS strings repository. Therefore they can commit their stage permanently. Once the stage is committed, staged strings are stored in the AMOS repository. Every hour at xx:45, AMOS generates ZIP packages from the most recent snapshot of the repository. These ZIP packages are published at http://download.moodle.org/langpack/2.0/ for download. Moodle sites can install and update language packages automatically from the Site administration > Language > Language packs page.

In reply to Ralf Krause

Re: AMOS does not update lang packs every hour

by David Mudrák -
Well, from what I can see at http://download.moodle.org/langpack/2.0/ and http://download.moodle.org/langpack/2.1/ the "de" lang pack was updated at both branches today at 10:51 UTC. Looking at the Log page, this is your change of the string to "Die Texte wurden in den Übersetzer geholt".

Since that, no commit to any of "de" packs was done. From my point of view, all is OK. Can you please re-check?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Ralf Krause -

Today the update of the language packs works fine ....

I think that the server http://lang.moodle.org has some problems. I got the mails from this forum thread today on 7th July 2011, 01:30. As you can see we wrote the messages on 5th July 2011, 11:03 and 13:55.

Ralf

In reply to Ralf Krause

by Bayu Widyasanyata -

Hi,

This issue was happened to me, Indonesian lang pack (id).

I have about 3 commits since 24 and 25 Sept 2011, but nothing changes in lang packs page.

It's still show the old status: 2011-03-03 17:30 UTC

Is there any problem with lang packs or I miss something?

Regards,

[bayu] - ID maintainer

In reply to Bayu Widyasanyata

by Bayu Widyasanyata -

Oops sorry, I checked at different version sad

It has already updated at 2.1 version (while I check at 2.0).

Thanks,  smile

[bayu]

In reply to Ralf Krause

Ang: AMOS does not update lang packs every hour

by Bente Olsen -

It is also a log time since I have seen the language pack being updated for downloads every hour.

In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: AMOS does not update lang packs every hour

by David Mudrák -
Oh yes I forgot to announce it here, sorry. AMOS now generates ZIPs every 3 hours. The job itself is pretty time consuming, it takes like 10 minutes per Moodle branch. And now when we have to maintain lang packs for four branches (2.0 - 2.3), the job was running almost constantly. Please note that the footer of the language stats page at the download server contains the time stamp of when the packs were updated.
In reply to David Mudrák

by koen roggemans -

David, can you post the hours/time zone when the job runs? It's a FAQ and hourly was an easy reply smile

In reply to koen roggemans

by David Mudrák -

Well, the cronjob definition is 45 */3 * * * which means it starts every day on 00:45, 03:45, 06:45 etc. (UTC). Then it takes approx. 45 minutes to finish so the new packs are available at download.moodle.org at 01:30, 04:30, 07:30 etc. (again UTC). Look at the footer of http://download.moodle.org/langpack/2.3/ - it shows you when the page was generated.

In reply to David Mudrák

Ang: Re: Ang: AMOS does not update lang packs every hour

by Bente Olsen -
In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: AMOS does not update lang packs every hour

by koen roggemans -
In reply to koen roggemans

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Ang: AMOS does not update lang packs every hour

by Bente Olsen -

Hi Koen and David

The Download: Language Packs pages could use an update too, "These zip files are generated hourly from the work..." - I guess you have permission to look at that?

In reply to Ralf Krause

by David Mudrák -

For your information, as a part of overall improvements of export-zip.php job script (which were done as a part of MDLSITE-2004), we managed to shorten the time needed to build ZIP packages from ~90 minutes to a couple of minutes (usually less than five, depends on translators' activity).

This allowed us to schedule rebuilding ZIP packages every hour again. From now on, the job is executed at the beginning of every hour (at xx:00) and once it finishes, ZIPs are available at the usual location.

This improvement might also increase the overall performance of AMOS a bit as the site does not need to spend valuable resources on generating ZIPs for most of the time now. But this also means we must fix the documentation of this everywhere again wink

In reply to David Mudrák

by Nicolas Martignoni -

Thanks David !

I don't know if it's related, but now on AMOS, only the "en" language is enabled. Should I open a ticket?