AMOS interface

AMOS interface

by Károly Fábricz -
Number of replies: 14

With recent changes to the AMOS interface, it appears impossible to change the language of the AMOS interface from English to any other language. A bother.

Karoly

In reply to Károly Fábricz

Re: AMOS interface

by Károly Fábricz -

It should be set by selecting from the "Preferred language" option, I guess.

Karoly

by Joseph Rézeau -

I'm not sure this is a big problem. Personally, even being a native speaker of French, I always switch to the English language interface, which I find more clear.

Anyway, people using AMOS are supposed to be knowledgeable in English, since they will offer translations from English into their native language, no?
wink

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Tárgy: Re: AMOS interface

by Károly Fábricz -

Hi Joseph,

>>I'm not sure this is a big problem.

Neither am I. Yet, we have spent time on translating the interface, and there may come a time when we will maintain the given language pack in collaboration with others.

>Personally, even being a native speaker of French, I always switch to the English language interface, which I find more clear.

That is a different issue - perhaps related to the quality of the FR translation.

>Anyway, people using AMOS are supposed to be knowledgeable in English, since they will offer translations from English into their native language, no?

Absolutely. Yet, it may appear more convenient to use an interface in your native language. Especially if it is your own constribution to the huge Moodle maze.

My two cents.

Karoly

Re: Tárgy: Re: AMOS interface

by Joseph Rézeau -

>>Personally, even being a native speaker of French, I always switch to the English language interface, which I find more clear.

>That is a different issue - perhaps related to the quality of the FR translation.

Oh no, the quality of the FR translation is good. The only thing is that I am more familiar with the concepts in their English form than in French. Also, if translators (official or occasional like me) need to post remarks to this forum, they will obviously need to refer to the terminology of the AMOS interface in English, so as to be understood by everyone, not in their native language.

This is why, like German Valero, I think the availability of an AMOS language interface in languages other than English is not really necessary (sorry, Nicolas blush).

Joseph

Re: Tárgy: Re: AMOS interface

by Jasmin Klindzic -
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Well, I have to agree with German and Joseph on this - if you are a translator - especially given the fact that you are translating from English to begin with - using English interface should not be an issue smile

In reply to Jasmin Klindzic

by Séverin Terrier -

Even if i understand english (but not all subtilities), i always prefere reading french, which is my native langage...

That's also why i do (french) translations of documentation, has it's much simpler for me to read after that, and also because i know it can help lot of people.

by Nicolas Martignoni -

Good point about the terminology, Joseph. In fact, this is not a real translation. And it's a real nightmare to re-invent a terminology in our other languages.

I think though that's a good exercise (at least for me wink) to verify my understanding of the process.

In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by David Mudrák -
I'm happy to realize I'm not the only one who finds strings like "the stage", "staged translation" and "stashed strings" difficult to localize smile I should blame myself for them, of course. But somehow, they seem to be so clear and self-descriptive in English.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Joseph Rézeau -

Well, I do find those metaphors of "stage" and "stash" rather weird and difficult to comprehend. But, after getting used to the AMOS translator interface I just use it and do not look at the "labels".

I am all the more admirative for the French equivalent metaphors that our friend Nicolas has provided. Well-done, Nicolas.wink

by German Valero -

Joseph (people using AMOS are supposed to be knowledgeable in English, since they will offer translations from English into their native language, no?)

100% agreement. smile

I do not think AMOS needs to be available in any other language, but the original English. Some of the strings of AMOS are in fact not easy to translate into spanish within a reasonably sized string and the translated layout of the interface gets weird-looking. I myself only use the English interface also smile.

by Nicolas Martignoni -

Joseph,

I beg to disagree: AMOS is also used by some people to propose fixes or typos corrections, and those people aren't always knowledgeable in English enough to understand everything, as they are not translators.

Without AMOS localisation, we would lose these contributions and this would be too bad.

Cheers, Nicolas

In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi,

I totally agree with that ; and even if i understand english, i always read in less time if it's in french smile
...except for bad automatical translations thoughtful

Séverin

by David Mudrák -
Oh yes, sorry. This is a regression of the recent improvements. Partially solved now - the lang.moodle.org uses the translations at the state as it was on Monday evening (CET). I am going to fix the auto-updating scripts.

Thanks for letting me know!