Unable to import translation into mod/HotQuestion (contrib)

Unable to import translation into mod/HotQuestion (contrib)

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Number of replies: 10

I think my local translation file is correct and still... I am unable to import it into AMOS

I am attaching the Hebrew translation file, for import testing purposes

In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

Re: Unable to import translation into mod/HotQuestion (contrib)

by German Valero -
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Hi,

This may be related to the BRANCH of Moodle you are trying to import to. AMOS accepted your file for the 2.0 and 2.1 branches (they were submitted to maintainers), but there are no strings available for 2.2 and 2.3.

Cheers,

In reply to German Valero

by Nadav Kavalerchik -

Thanks!

I simply tried to import it and did not even got to the propegate page (where i choose to propage it to some or all branches)

I am a one of the Hebrew translattion team (together with Miki Aliel) and i got your issue by email,

Hope the AMOS maintainer got it too and will fix it, so I could propagate the translation to all branches (as mush as possible, since the strings are not the same) 

Most important are the 2.2 and above branches!

Thanks smile

by German Valero -

Hi,

The problem of strings not being available for 2.2 and 2.3 Moodle versions can ONLY be fixed by the maintainer of the HotQuestion module. ALL languages share the same problem (mine included).

I just wrote a note about it in github tracker .

I hope it helps.

Cheers

by David Mudrák -

Correct. As you can see here , the module has its strings registered for 2.0 and 2.1 only in AMOS. The maintainer has not released the module for higher Moodle versions - see here.

There is a plan that AMOS will still generate ZIP packs containing the most recent translation for higher versions. So in this case, language packs for Moodle 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 would contain hotquestion.php from the 2.1 pack. That would allow admins to use older version of a contributed add-on in higher versions without relying on the maintainer.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Joseph Rézeau -

David "There is a plan that AMOS will still generate ZIP packs containing the most recent translation for higher versions. So in this case, language packs for Moodle 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 would contain [hotquestion.php] from the 2.1 pack. That would allow admins to use older version of a contributed add-on in higher versions without relying on the maintainer."

That would be really useful!

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by German Valero -

David "There is a plan that AMOS will still generate ZIP packs containing the most recent translation for higher versions. So in this case, language packs for Moodle 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 would contain [hotquestion.php] from the 2.1 pack. That would allow admins to use older version of a contributed add-on in higher versions without relying on the maintainer."

That is a very good idea, that would be extremely useful for many administrators and translators.

Cheers big grin

by Nadav Kavalerchik -

Beautiful idea +1 from me smile

by David Mudrák -

And it should be implemented now! See MDLSITE-2004 for details. Translators just need to "touch" their language packs somehow (it should be enough to translate a single missing string in some file at 2.0 version of your language) so that AMOS rebuilds ZIP packages. Then, if you download the ZIP from http://download.moodle.org/langpack/ it should contain contributed plugins translated at lower versions, too.

Hope this helps!

In reply to David Mudrák

by David Mudrák -
Update: all language packs have been re-generated so there is no need to touch the translation now. You can easily check it by downloading the ZIP of your language for Moodle 2.4. Inside the ZIP, you should find translations made on lower versions in AMOS, too (unless there is an explicit translation for 2.4, of course).
In reply to David Mudrák

by German Valero -

Thanks again David for such an elegant sollution Yes.