Posts made by José Miguel Andonegi Martínez

Hi koen:

Thanks for your script. I will include it in the tutorial and I will also tray to write a similar .bat file.

You are right about that limitation in the described process. That's because of my limited knowledge using filters in Rainbow smile. It would be better to generate an id composed of the filename+id.

I'm not an expert using this kind of technology but if I am not wrong, the translation memory is something like a repository where you put your different translations. It is useful as an input to suggest similar texts or to perform quality check actions. Just having an export option from AMOS would be very useful.

I'm new using AMOS and I find it a great tool to manage the translation process (proposal, review, approval) but it would be nice to have translation proposals based upon similar texts.

Other possible way:

1) Use an alignment tool like Rainbow to convert each couple of .php files into an .xliff file (using an improved alignment process that includes file name in the id).

2) Translate the .xlf files with OmegaT using the .tmx as an input (and other tools like glosaries, integrated quality checks, ...)

3) Revert the alignment process with Rainbow to generate a completely translated .php file

4) Import the translated file

Regards!

Hello:

Translation memories are very useful in translation process. Unfortunately, AMOS doesn't work with tm. A .tmx file has all the translations and it makes easier consulting similar texts-

This tutorial explains how to create a .tmx file out of Moodle language packs and how to make a quality test over that file to detect translation errors. I have used it to improve some few texts in the Basque language pack.

I have done the same process with the Spanish language and this is the translation memory generated.

Is anybody using tms or Translation software like OmegaT? I wonder if it could be worth using that kind of tools and to import the translated file to AMOS.

Hi Helen:

This tutorial explains how to create a Translation Memory out of Moodle files. I think it is very useful to have a TM so that you can search for similar translations.

The procedure is quite long, so, it would be great if AMOS could generate a TM automatically. This forum thread discusses about it.

http://lang.moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3398

I must update the English-Basque TM with 2.6 texts, so I can have soon an estimation of the number of words.

Hi Berdy:

Thanks for mentioning the Rainbow method. I have only used the TM as a way to look for similar texts and it has been very helpful to improve my translations, but, up to now, I have not explored the way you suggest: using the TM to translate php files with a CAT toll like OT.

I think the steps to achieve it are:

1. Improving the filter to get specific ids for each file. Right now, the same chain id is used in different files. Witch id format would you recommend? May be file_name:chain_id. I can ask for that improvement in Rainbow forums but, unfortunately, I am not able to do it myself.
  2. A similar pipeline should be created to convert php files to xliff format.
  3. The generated xliff files can be translated in OT
  4. The pipeline should be reverted to get the translated texts from xliff back to .php
  5. The translated php files should be imported to AMOS

This is experimental and I would appreciate your help. I will report any improvement I get here, but I will only work on this in my spare time.

Hello:

For those like me who are beginners translating Moodle, it is very important to look for similar texts and a translation memory can be very useful.

This tutorial shows how to create  a .tmx file out of moodle language packs.

Feedback are welcome.

Regards!