Server Maintenance Notification

Server Maintenance Notification

by Mitsuhiro Yoshida -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Hi,

Is it possible to email all translators about Moodle languages portal Server Down or Maintenance Notification?

Unfortunately I lost some translated and brushed up strings on Stage after the following message was displayed.

"Moodle languages portal (beta)
The site is undergoing maintenance and is currently not available"

If I can receive a notification from this server, I could commit before server going down.Smile

Mits

In reply to Mitsuhiro Yoshida

Re: Server Maintenance Notification

by David Mudrák -

Ouch, I am sorry about the translation loss :-s I had to do an actual upgrade of the site today and I did not realize it could hurt. I would expect that the stage survives the maintenance mode, would not it? If you had some strings staged, I can recover them for you manually if you want. Just let me know.

The notification message would be probably necessary for these situations. I will think about something. Thanks for the tip!

In reply to David Mudrák

by Mitsuhiro Yoshida -

Hi David,

It's OK. I retransalted the strings.Wink

I will commit staged strings at short intervals to reflesh a flow of my thoughts.

> The notification message would be probably necessary for these situations. I will think about something.

Thank you.

Mits

In reply to Mitsuhiro Yoshida

by Andrea Bicciolo -

David,

the course forum news could be a simple and effective solution to notify scheduled maintenance. What do you think?

Btw, some hours ago (2010-08-26 09:55 UTC) I committed a bunch of strings AFTER the maintenace. However, the Italian language pack does not seems to receive the new commits as Moodle keep telling packages are up to date. Among the other  strings  I committed "enrol_paypal" which is still not updated. Any thoughts?

In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by David Mudrák -

Andrea,

forum is definitely good solution for scheduled updates. Pitty is that sometimes, the upgrade is necessary to be done immediately to fix a bug in either AMOS or apply a fix in Moodle 2.0. I will try experimenting with the new Messaging subsystem which could be able to display popup notifications on the screen. If not, it should not be that hard to implement it directly into AMOS...