I need a new permalink

I need a new permalink

by German Valero -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Language pack maintainers

I am continually translating both all the new DEV CORE strings and some new additional plugins that I think would be useful for my community.

But one (new, desired, improved, upcoming?, existing but un-mastered by me)  feature of AMOS that would be extremely useful for me (and I think many other translators) would be a way to have a pre-checked list of core + my favorite plugins (permalink) that I could quickly check every week for detecting new, updated or improved English strings (but only for core+my favorite plugins), so that I can maintain an updated translation of all the plugins that I have decided that are worth keeping updated. With the current huge number of additional plugins available for many branches, this has proved to be impossible for me.

I think that other translators would probably have decided to keep updated a finite set of additional plugins, but they might share the same problem, or maybe someone has devised a clever solution and would like to share it with the other maintainers?. Or maybe I just don't know how to use AMOS permalink feature correctly ?

I think that another desirable improvement might be to add a new option besides Enlarge / Standard / All / None   for 'Moodle's top 20 additional plugins', as listed in https://moodle.org/plugins/stats.php, as these are the additional plugins many Moodle admins worldwide have decided to download in the past three months, and these plugins might be worth considering for translation in all major languages. But maybe this new feature would be very hard and time-consuming to code, and we do not really know how many translators would find such feature useful enough.

Please comment.

Thanks in advance.

In reply to German Valero

Re: I need a new permalink

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Language pack maintainers

You can use the permalink feature for these things already. But there is one usability issue with it (see below). The permalink feature is supposed to work like this:

1. You use the AMOS filter settings (that is you define which versions, components etc you want to see). For example, you can select version 3.1, then all core components and some additional components.
  2. You press "Save filter settings" and let AMOS to show you the strings.
  3. Then you can copy or bookmark the URL that is available via the "Permalink" link. Following that URL should set the filter back to the current settings.

The problem is that AMOS does not allow you to mix strings from one component version with strings from another component version at the moment. So you can't see things like "Workshop 3.1 strings together with Essential 3.0 strings". You would have to select both 3.0 and 3.1 version fields, and both Workshop and Essential components. But that would lead to Workshop strings being displayed twice.

What I would recommend you to do now is to have a couple of bookmarked / saved permalinks per version. So you would have one for "3.1 core and interesting additional plugins", another one for "3.0 interesting plugins", another one for "2.9 interesting plugins" etc.

That way, you can regularly check these three or four links and have your areas of interested monitored well.