Lang pack not updated

Lang pack not updated

by Bente Olsen -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Language pack maintainers

I modified a few strings the other day, but they do not get updated in my lang pack when I try to update that. Any ideas?

In addition the English string firstpagetitle_help | mod_wiki is changed in AMOS, but not in my lang pack, again, how come?

When I try to update my lang pack, Moodle says that it is already updated.

In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Lang pack not updated

by François Lizotte -

Did you purge your caches?

In reply to François Lizotte

Ang: Re: Lang pack not updated

by Bente Olsen -

Thanks for asking smile

I think I have developed a bad manner, I have created my own link to the translation page. So instead of using the menu item "Language customisation", I go directly to the translation page of my lang pack. I forgot this time to use Moodles way when I want to update the strings in the translator.

In addition I do not really use the purge cache function for languages because of its limitations, MDL-55153.

In reply to Bente Olsen

by Bente Olsen -

I purged all cache, it didn't do any difference. The English language pack is still not updated. I have looked at mod/wiki/lang/en/wiki.php,  it is from 2017-07-08. But the string firstpagetitle_help is changed 2017-09-01 08:37 UTC.

In reply to Bente Olsen

by Bente Olsen -

I have checked a couple of installations more, none of them have the English language pack updated. Maybe it only gets updated when you update Moodle?

In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: Lang pack not updated

by David Mudrák -

none of them have the English language pack updated

Wait, what English language pack? And where are those dates from?

In reply to David Mudrák

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Lang pack not updated

by Bente Olsen -
I am talking about the original English Language pack. It is listed together with manually installed lang packs in Moodle Home ► Site administration ► Language ► Language packs. I expected it to be updated like the other languages via cron or if I click on the button "Update all installed language packs". But now I have the string firstpagetitle_help | mod_wiki updated in Danish, but not in English, because only the Danish lang pack is updated.

In AMOS you can see when a string is changed. I checked in an installation that has not been updated lately, how old mod/wiki/lang/en/wiki.php was. From that it was clear that the English lang pack haven't been updated since Moodle were updated. So I assume that I was wrong expecting all lang packs to be updated regulary via cron or updated if I choose to do it manually. I have no installations that are updated after the English string was changed in AMOS, so I guess that is the reason why I do not see the latest version of that string in any of my Moodle installations.
In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Lang pack not updated

by David Mudrák -

I expected it to be updated like the other languages via cron or if I click on the button "Update all installed language packs"

No. English strings come with the Moodle code and are updated only when the whole Moodle is upgraded. The English language packs can't be neither updated nor deleted via the admin UI.