How to review latest integrations in a language pack?

How to review latest integrations in a language pack?

by Séverin Terrier -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

Language pack maintener are very valuable people, but they stay human, and can let some details (little faults) in some translated strings, from time to time.

So, if someone else can review latest integrated strings in a language pack, that could help to quickly identify these little things, and fix them.

But my problem his : how to "track" in an easy way the latest changes integrated in a language pack?

For my exemple (french) : i can go to AMOS log, and filter by commiter "Nicolas Martignoni" with source AMOS, since a recent date. I can then see a list of changed items, but not the content details.

When changes was proposed by someone, and validated by the maintener, you can find a #xxxxx translation number. This number allows you to open link https://lang.moodle.org/local/amos/contrib.php?id=xxxxx and click on the Apply button to see the details sourire

Not really simple, but doable (with two tabs).

But when the language maintener directly make translations, there's no #xxxxx number, and so no easy way to find the corresponding information. And trying each number is not a solution! sad

Would there be a (better, easy) way to see details of recent integrated language string, to be able to review them, and correct them if needed?

Séverin
In reply to Séverin Terrier

Re: How to review latest integrations in a language pack?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Language pack maintainers

One alternative might be to watch changes in pages like http://git.moodle.org/gw?p=moodle-langpacks.git;a=history;f=fr;hb=refs/heads/MOODLE_36_STABLE But those are just snapshots. Details on who actually did the change and how, can be then found via AMOS translator UI (the "timeline" link) manually if needed.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Séverin Terrier -

Thanks David for this idea.

But it clearly isn't simple, nor really useful because:

• you need to click on several links
  • you don't see the original english string

There are things i don't really understand, because when i look at this patch, it seems to indicate fr string changes in search_elastic, but when i go in AMOS to check them, i don't see them.

I personnaly don't see a "timeline" link. Is this something reserved to maintener?

In fact, what i'd like to have would be an interface that would show all strings added/modified in a language pack, sorted by reverse date (newest first), and also showing the original english string (i don't care who made the modification). This list could be limited to a certain count of strings, and begin from a specified time (perhaps with a default of one month/week).

If it could directly be in AMOS, allowing to modify the strings, it would be perfect.

Séverin

by German Valero -
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Hi Séverin and David,

Could it be possible for the language pack maintainer to have two AMOS usernames: one as a maintainer and another as a mere contributor ?

This way the maintainer would send all the work as any other contributor would do, but when he/she logs in as maintainer, could fast-track approve the work.

And there should be a #xxxxx number for all the work the maintainer_working_as_a_mere_contribuitor did.

It sounds cumbersome, but it might be a good way to keep a record of translations done in a needed hurry (too aften the case), so that the maintainer can later carefully slowly re-check and fix any human error (e.g, on a quiet weekend).

I reckon I have made some very silly typos in many strings in the few years I have maintained my language pack, but I had never thought about a way to double-check myself.

In reply to German Valero

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi German,

I feel it's a bad idea that the maintener should have two accounts!

But it could be a good idea if addition he makes are tracked the same way as other users.

For that, does he need to (and can he) create a stash, and a contribution (that he would check himself) ?

Séverin

Er: Re: How to review latest integrations in a language pack?

by Iñigo Zendegi Urzelai -

Hi there,

Would there be a (better, easy) way to see details of recent integrated language string, to be able to review them, and correct them if needed?

We'd really appreciate that feature: in the Basque language pack nowadays we're several contributors translating strings, and there is only one maintainer approving them. We're thinking on changing this process and upgrading two contributors to maintainers in order to share out the work, but we want him to remain being the lead maintainer. To achieve that, it would be great if he could see and easilly review all maintainers' changes.