Sorting the results returned by AMOS

Sorting the results returned by AMOS

by Mohammad Ali -
Number of replies: 3

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to sort the results returned by AMOS when requesting strings with some criteria?

I can see now its results are sorted according to component name, then according to the string identifier, but I wish I had the ability to implement other kinds of sorting, like the English text itself, or the string identifier alone..
I know that some language strings contain a very long chain of characters sometimes, and this fact may be challenging for the programmer. As far as I know, long strings need a workaround to be included in the sort order, but still, this demand is quite useful when translating too many similar strings.
If this feature is not present, I hope it can be added in the near future.

In reply to Mohammad Ali

Re: Sorting the results returned by AMOS

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Language pack maintainers

Hi Mohammad. Thank you for raising this topic. I can confirm there is no current feature allowing for custom ordering of filtered strings. There are quite non-trivial performance related issues with it and there has been no strong use case detected for why translators would need such a feature.

I'll be happy to hear what particular custom sorting order you would like to use and why to better understand this feature request.

In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Sorting the results returned by AMOS

by Mohammad Ali -

Hi David,
Thanks for the quick reply,

When working with English language strings across many components, I found a significant number of similar strings that can be dealt with much faster if they were adjacent.
In a nutshell, I can say there is a need to sweep language strings in a concept-wise rather than in a component-wise.
Since E-learning concepts can be reduced to a limited list, while components could increase on a daily basis, searching untranslated strings can benefit from that to reduce time, I mean at least double speed can be achieved here.

I think these updates to AMOS can be very useful:

1. Adding sort order by the original text (English).
  2. Adding sort order by the string identifier only.
  3. Adding a checkbox to exclude long strings, let's say longer than 255 characters... of course, letting the user decide this number would be much better.

I appreciate your help with this topic.