Translations of strings named *_link in plugins

Translations of strings named *_link in plugins

by German Valero -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Language pack maintainers

I recently found a lot of new strings in third party plugins that have a '*_link' name, which seem to be links to Moodle English language documentation, such as:

alignment_link | questionnaire : 'mod/questionnaire/questions#Radio_Buttons'

checkboxes_link | questionnaire : 'mod/questionnaire/questions#Check_Boxes'

And I wonder whether I should keep them in English, so that they link to the original English language Docs.

Does anybody know what we should do with these links ?

Thanks in advance.

In reply to German Valero

Re: Translations of strings named *_link in plugins

by koen roggemans -
If the translated page exists and is kept up-to-date, I don't see why you couldn't point to the translated docs. Otherwise English is the safe option.
In reply to koen roggemans

by German Valero -
I added some text in https://docs.moodle.org/402/en/Translation_FAQ#Strings_named_.2A_link . Please feel free to add/remove/change as needed.

There are 445 strings named *_link!

But very few are real strings that must be translated. eg:

login_behaviour_link_selector | auth_unilogin 'Link insertion selector'

These few are worth translating, but I think I should better leave the others in English !
In reply to German Valero

by David Mudrák -

On contrary, I would suggest to leave them all in English. If a translation exists, the redirect to the translated version can be handled at the docs wiki site itself. Note that the actual docs URL will be composed depending on the current user's language and other settings. That's why these strings were actually hidden for a long time from the AMOS interface completely.

However, one bit where this will not work well, is the anchor part of the URL in the *_link string.

In reply to David Mudrák

by koen roggemans -
the actual docs URL will be composed depending on the current user's language - Thanks for that explanation - I didn't know
In reply to koen roggemans

by David Mudrák -

Yeah. For example, when I switch my UI language to Czech, the "Help and documentation" link for this particular page reads http://docs.moodle.org/402/cs/mod/forum/discuss - so it aims to find the 4.2 Czech wiki. And there are various redirect rules at the docs.moodle.org site that control where the user actually ends.